FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
specialkayme wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:03 pm Oldest one is here: veitchii-saying-hi-t54600.html

I can take photos of the others if you'd like, but to be honest you don't have anything that I'd be interested in trading for.
Oh, and I know you said nothing on my list sounded interesting to you, but the ceph I have is growing pretty quick. For a ceph anyway. I just recently got it in December (I think) and it already has two new basals/off shoots which I could divide. That unkown nep hybrid looks like it has lowii x truncata somewhere in it. Or at least lowii. What do you think?
By specialkayme
Try to find plants that grow well in YOUR setup, rather than changing setups. Get something that is a good intermediate grower. Then push the limits a little, something that rows well on the upper or lower edge of intermediate. Later on you can focus on a lowland or highland setup. Getting a good collection in this hobby requires (i) money, (ii) time, or (iii) connections. So if you don't know someone who's willing to give you cuttings or divisions for cheap or free, and you can't afford to buy the expensive stuff, use time as your weapon. Be on the hunt for people that are willing to give out great plants at low prices. Facebook, reddit, and ebay, follow carnivero and florae and follow their drops. Find small, young plants and grow them to be amazing mid plants. Then trade up (or sell).

A good example: Carnivero's Veitchii CAR-001 (https://www.carnivero.com/products/nepe ... 7941328939) is normally $100 for a medium plant through Carnivero's website. A few drops back, you could have picked up one of their XS plants for $40 (normally $65). Grow it for a year or two, and you have a medium plant. Grow it for a little longer, you have a big plant. That same $40 plant becomes worth $500-1,000+ (https://www.ebay.com/itm/224845127449?h ... SwmsNiD-OL). Sell it at that point, and you can buy 12-30 small plants and repeat.

If you have the time to find the deals, and have the time to grow the plants, and have the green thumb to get it done, you can do wonders. Sounds like you have all three.
Supercazzola liked this
By Sundews69
Ok, I'll do that! Do you know anyone on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, and/or eBay that sell plants for cheap/free? I usually do follow the Carnivero and Florae drops (and in Florae's case, auctions). I'm trying to get some more, organized space first. I really need new lights and something to keep humidity high. Then once I have a steady setup (Not one that changes the temps. Just more lights, space, etc.), then I'll try getting something a little more intermediate. I suppose I'll start with a cheap veitchii (If I'm lucky, the sale will still be happening a Carnivero) and maybe either a zakariana, eymae, sibuyanensis, or glandulifera? Do you have any cool suggestions? I've heard albomarginata can be grown under intermediate conditions. Do you know if this is true? Thanks for your help. And sorry for kinda hijacking your sales thread!
By Sundews69
Sundews69 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:55 pm Ok, I'll do that! Do you know anyone on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, and/or eBay that sell plants for cheap/free? I usually do follow the Carnivero and Florae drops (and in Florae's case, auctions). I'm trying to get some more, organized space first. I really need new lights and something to keep humidity high. Then once I have a steady setup (Not one that changes the temps. Just more lights, space, etc.), then I'll try getting something a little more intermediate. I suppose I'll start with a cheap veitchii (If I'm lucky, the sale will still be happening a Carnivero) and maybe either a zakariana, eymae, sibuyanensis, or glandulifera? Do you have any cool suggestions? I've heard albomarginata can be grown under intermediate conditions. Do you know if this is true? Thanks for your help. And sorry for kinda hijacking your sales thread!
I just wanted to bump this post, because I'm still curious if anyone knows of anybody on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, eBay, etc. that sells plants for cheap/free and I don't think @specialkayme saw the original post. I would make a new thread but I don't know where to put it!
By Carnies
Sundews69 wrote:I just wanted to bump this post, because I'm still curious if anyone knows of anybody on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, eBay, etc. that sells plants for cheap/free and I don't think @specialkayme saw the original post. I would make a new thread but I don't know where to put it!
Don't want to hijack, if you put it under Sales, Trades, Wants - USA, I think I might know a few places.
By specialkayme
Sundews69 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:55 pm Ok, I'll do that! Do you know anyone on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, and/or eBay that sell plants for cheap/free? I usually do follow the Carnivero and Florae drops (and in Florae's case, auctions). I'm trying to get some more, organized space first. I really need new lights and something to keep humidity high. Then once I have a steady setup (Not one that changes the temps. Just more lights, space, etc.), then I'll try getting something a little more intermediate. I suppose I'll start with a cheap veitchii (If I'm lucky, the sale will still be happening a Carnivero) and maybe either a zakariana, eymae, sibuyanensis, or glandulifera? Do you have any cool suggestions? I've heard albomarginata can be grown under intermediate conditions. Do you know if this is true? Thanks for your help. And sorry for kinda hijacking your sales thread!
I don't know anyone that is giving plants away for free. Occasionally on this forum you'll see raffles or giveaways, but that's about all I've seen as far as free goes.

Cheap is a relative term. You get what you pay for. You can find a plant on ebay for super cheap occasionally. It's usually a poached plant, or comes with diseases or parasites. As with all things in life, you pay for it one way or another. Personally I think the plants from Carnivero and Florae are good value for what you get. Good, healthy plants at good prices. But that's me.

But more to the point, if you're asking me if I have connections for cheap/free plants, I think you missed the point of my post earlier. I suggest you try and read it again.
By Sundews69
specialkayme wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:23 am
I don't know anyone that is giving plants away for free. Occasionally on this forum you'll see raffles or giveaways, but that's about all I've seen as far as free goes.

Cheap is a relative term. You get what you pay for. You can find a plant on ebay for super cheap occasionally. It's usually a poached plant, or comes with diseases or parasites. As with all things in life, you pay for it one way or another. Personally I think the plants from Carnivero and Florae are good value for what you get. Good, healthy plants at good prices. But that's me.

But more to the point, if you're asking me if I have connections for cheap/free plants, I think you missed the point of my post earlier. I suggest you try and read it again.
Ah, I see what you're saying now. Sorry.
By Sundews69
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:28 am

I also wasn't necessarily looking for someone who gave away free plants. I was just curious if you happened to know someone on fb, ig, etc. who sells plants for a good price
By specialkayme
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:33 am
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:28 am

I also wasn't necessarily looking for someone who gave away free plants. I was just curious if you happened to know someone on fb, ig, etc. who sells plants for a good price
I understand, but that means you're still misunderstanding my post.

Again, to get a good collection of CP in this hobby requires (i) money, (ii) connections, or (iii) time. If you don't have the money, and you don't have the connections, use time. Get small plants and grow them into big plants. Make splits, sell the splits. Sell the large plants you grew. Use the proceeds to buy more/better plants.

You're trying to shortcut the connections part by looking for a jump on "cheap" plants. You can't shortcut the money or the connections part. They come with time and experience. So use your time wisely.
Sundews69 liked this
By Supercazzola
trouble with sites like this is you don't know the age and maturity of other members. Some are literally just kids, despite their screen names. There are some lessons people have to learn on their own depending on their journey through life.

I couldn't agree more with your post specialkayme. Your advice is applicable even for those more seasoned in life...
specialkayme, Carnies liked this
By John W
Just noticed you were looking for sweet smelling orchids - I recommend a Maxillaria tenuifolia - smells just like coconuts - and can be found locally for cheap(20-30$) at most orchid nurseries. There is also bulbophyllum ambrosia which supposedly is one of the few bulbophyllums that smells great, and I have one other vanda recommendation that smells good I can give you when I get home. I am not looking to trade right now but do have those recommendations.
By specialkayme
John W wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:18 pm Just noticed you were looking for sweet smelling orchids - I recommend a Maxillaria tenuifolia - smells just like coconuts - and can be found locally for cheap(20-30$) at most orchid nurseries. There is also bulbophyllum ambrosia which supposedly is one of the few bulbophyllums that smells great, and I have one other vanda recommendation that smells good I can give you when I get home. I am not looking to trade right now but do have those recommendations.
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Bulbophyllum ambrosia is actually the only orchid that I have (other than a HD orchid). It's been growing well for me over the past 6 months, but it's small and has a ways to go.

Maxillariella Tenuifolia was actually already on my "watch list", so neat suggestions. Also on my "watch list" was Bulbophyllum Cocoinum (other than ambrosia, supposed to be the only other bulbo that doesn't smell like death, and supposed to smell like coconuts) and Cattleya Walkeriana var. Alba. But if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears!
By John W
Alright, the last plant I have that is fragrant that I recommend is named: Rhynchostylis coelestis (blue)

I haven't seen this one bloom yet, but the person I purchased it from said that it smells great. They are supposedly very slow growers. I purchased mine as an adult that has already bloomed.

neat video, albeit rather long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh6PFa9nv0U
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!