FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Wikiwakawakawee
Hi all, i have a question aimed towards you who have some amps. I noticed that some pitchers are longer and less "Squat" or "round" than other amp pitchers, even on the same plant sometimes. I was looking through some instagram photos of ampullaria pitchers and saw the difference in them.

Have you guys noticed anything like this? If so, is it the basal shoots that produce more "Round" pitchers (I noticed that the rounder ones are usually the ones clustered at the bottom) or is it something else that is affecting this?

I know there are different types of amps, some produce VERY "Round" pitchers while others produce a bit more "oblong" like pitchers.

I'll try and find the picture i saw and post it here.
By Leathal_Traps
Yes you are right. Basals and younger plant tend to produce more elongated pitchers that don't really resemble the shape of what you imagine when you think ampullaria. As these grow up they start acquiring the tubby shape. One of my amp basals was producing pear shaped pitchers and now the new ones are starting to resemble those of the mother plant, with the peristome, shape, everything.

I still have to send you the pic lol, I'll try to do it now.
By TS 1989
Leathal_Traps wrote:Yes you are right. Basals and younger plant tend to produce more elongated pitchers that don't really resemble the shape of what you imagine when you think ampullaria. As these grow up they start acquiring the tubby shape. One of my amp basals was producing pear shaped pitchers and now the new ones are starting to resemble those of the mother plant, with the peristome, shape, everything.

I still have to send you the pic lol, I'll try to do it now.
+1 to this. Back then when my ampullaria was tiny, it produced long pitchers like most species of Nepenthes. As it grows, the pitcher slowly became rounder and shorter.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!