FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
I did post an update earlier about on my mystery nepenthes and said it was growing growth nodes and the plant was doing well. I guess it looks like I jinxed myself because one growth nodes' growth point is turning black. The other growth nodes are doing ok while the main stem is still dying with two leaves closest to it have died and I trimmed off. What does this mean for my nepenthes or is it starting to die? Below is a pic of it that I posted before, the leaves on the growth nodes have spikes or hairs on the edges so idk if that'll also help to identify it. I kept the conditions the same and I did no changes to it's care. I just have it bagged with very good ventilation, keeping the humidity up, it's been getting good lighting for 6 - 7 hours a day, and I've been watering it once a week.

I appreciate whoever sees this and whatever advice is given, I'm really not giving up on this little one, I believe it's still healthy, it's just struggling to do anything until It's possible to grow it outside.
Attachments:
mysterynepenthes2.PNG
mysterynepenthes2.PNG (767.9 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
By Nepenthes0260
I don’t see any problem here. Looks like the main growth rotted out so the plant decided to activate multiple axillary buds, which look perfectly healthy to me. :)
By septembersapphire21
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:14 pm I don’t see any problem here. Looks like the main growth rotted out so the plant decided to activate multiple axillary buds, which look perfectly healthy to me. :)
That was a before picture that I uploaded. I wasn't able to take a new pic, below is one I took minutes ago. One growth node is totally dying and another growth node behind the main stem has a leaf that's turning black. At this point I'm worried the entire plant is dying. However I'm gonna double check that another growth node could actually be a basal offshoot and I'm ready to trim it before the main stem continues to die.
Attachments:
20220405_143228.jpg
20220405_143228.jpg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 2031 times
By septembersapphire21
Supercazzola wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:13 am describe environment, medium it is planted in, water, etc… could you have damaged the roots when you planted it ? Or is it in the same container as when you bought it ?
It's been in a bag with holes for proper aeration for almost two months. Humidity always stayed between 80% 99%. Media is sphagnum moss/perlite and orchid bark on the bottom for proper drainage. It's in a six inch plastic pot that I repotted it in when I bought it. Water is always distilled, I make sure the media is moist. It's been under a grow light getting constant 6 hours of light. I had the grow light 12 inches away but I brought it down to 10 inches this week. The plant however does have springtails but upon doing research here and online, they are harmless to a plant and in fact, help a plant. Lastly, roots weren't damaged during repotting, I was very careful of not removing what roots it had, which wasn't much but were healthy.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!