FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Branint
I have a beautiful growing nepenthe pitcher plant. I also have a bit of a fruit fly problem. So I was thinking, what if I eye dropped a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar into one of the pitchers to attract more flies. Let me make it absolutely clear that I have not actually done this at time of posting, so if in fact this is a terrible idea that will kill the plant, I welcome anyone who wants to talk me down off this ledge to do so.
By Raistlarn
Vinegar is a herbicide. I don't know if apple cider vinegar is, but considering I almost nuked my mini greenhouse full of Nepenthes by spraying 3 times out of a spray bottle; I wouldn't take the chance.
Raistlarn, Raistlarn liked this
By Branint
hollyhock wrote:Get a D.capensis or two and put them in the area. They will take care of your fruit flies. :lol:
Well it just so happens I have two of those. I'll see about putting them to the job, though I've been less than impressed with their fly catching abilities in the past.
By Raistlarn
Acetic acid will definitely kill the pitcher, because it is an herbicide. If you are lucky it will kill only the pitcher, but it does create fumes. Vinegar fumes can and will kill your plants. So if you use too much (accidentally) then you will kill or damage your plants.
Look at it like this; will you pour a drop of Roundup into your plants pitcher to attract a bug (hypothetically,) while knowing that Roundup can kill your plants.
Raistlarn liked this
By Tryner78
To clarify: do you want to get rid of the flies, or do you want to feed the pitcher? Well, here's my idea. Don't touch the vinegar- it's not worth the risk. Instead, go eat a banana, cut the peel into little squares, and suspend them a bit inside the pitcher, but not touching or in the fluid or the walls. The flies will be attracted to the banana peel, and hopefully fall into the pitcher.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!