FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
Is neem oil what you use to keep mold down when stratifying seeds? Or when doing leaf props? I’m about to put a leaf cutting in peat to see if it will strike faster than the ones in water. The peat will be water logged/undrained so I figured better safe than sorry. Is this what most people use or is there a diff kind of fungicide people like better?
By -Stanley-
I've read some where that neem oil prevent fungus/mold from growing on Vfts seeds.
By Ewreck
Ok I was just wondering. I always just thought of neem oil as a pest remover until recently. I couldn’t recall any time reading using neem on stratifying seeds it usually just says “spray with anti fungal” just wanted some verification I guess
By MikeB
I recommend using a sulfur-based fungicide to control mold. Do not use a copper-based fungicide; that is toxic to carnivorous plants.
By Yuri
I like to use some cinnamon powder in the substrate too. It has properties that help in preventing mold.
By Z_Y
I find that if I use sphagnum instead of peat to keep the seeds moist, I get almost no mold. Peat on the other hand gets plenty of mold unless I dose with some fungicide. I've used propiconizole and azoxystrobin with no ill effects to my plants.

I've actually never had any success ever with sulfer based fungicides, every time I dose I get mold coming back. Plus sulfer is toxic to plants and really only protects the plants if it's covering them. Once it's washed off it's useless and it doesn't incorporate itself into the plant tissues.

The one fungicide I would avoid for flytraps is Bayer/BioAdvanced 3 in 1, it made my traps all super curvy and wonky looking for an entire growing season. I think last time I posted about it it seemed it was the Tebuconazole in that mixture that was causing the bad effects. I just use that for my cephs now, although it did nothing to get rid of my powdery mildew problem.
By Ragnarok
I have used neem oil to keep aphids at bay. It seems to clunk up their pores and suffocate them

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A226B met Tapatalk

By Ewreck
I was actually thinking of using it on the sarr seeds I have stratifying in my fridge. Paper towel in baggie technique. Then misting the pot once I sow them. Does neem work as fungicide for this purpose? Sorry if my questions are confusing.
Some of my seeds are at the 2 month mark today and I am planning on sowing some. One of them being ras op which I read somewhere on this forum that maybe I should give them an extra week or two ? I can’t seem to find that post with the search button but still currently looking.
By cnrose
I used a couple drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide. It does work pretty well, but I have since pivoted to using a quick spray of sulfur fungicide because I use sulfur fungicide with my germinated plants, and hydrogen peroxide reacts with sulfur to create sulfuric acid - which is *not good* for seeds/plants!

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!