FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Germanswisscheese
I'm pretty certain this flytrap is dead, but the only rhizomes I've seen are when I potted my plants. I have this one wrapped in fresh moist peat in the warmest part of my fridge right now.

ImageImage

All the leaves slowly turned black about three weeks ago, after that I put it in a cooler place and slowly reduced how much I was watering it until it was just keeping it damp. It did this exact same thing last winter when this plant went dormant. I trimmed the dead leaves off and it didn't look right so I unpotted it and took these pictures. I'm using a small plastic pot in a slightly larger glass of water. I think it may have been too dry. My apartment has radiator heat, anybody who has had radiator heat knows that it has two setting, off and way too hot, the environment during winter tends to be very warm and dry even with a humidifier.

I'm a little worried because I have two other flytraps that are in the same place but they still have a some green in their leaves yet. I also have a small terrarium with five other carnivorous plants that seem to all be doing well

Should I enclose my flytraps somehow during winter so they don't dry out as much from the radiator? Should I just switch to an enclosed aquarium? I already have nine carnivorous plants.
By cjpflaumer
When all the leaves turned black and you reduced the watering... Were you keeping it wet or moist? Have you always grown it in the peat moss? Please share some more background. Do you have any white rhizome in there? Growing conditions, ie light source indoor outdoor soil medium etc.
By Germanswisscheese
I was keeping it moist, I had it in a 3 inch plastic pot which was held above a plastic cup with water in it. I usually keep the water level in the bottom centimeter on the pot, but when the plant is dormant I let the medium get a little more dry.

It's an indoor plant, I keep it on a west facing windowsill, I live on the sixth floor so there's very little shade, I actually have to shade them with a loose weave burlap cloth in the summer or they burn. I live in Wisconsin and my carnivores usually go dormant on their own when the days shorten.

I'm actually unsure of the growing medium, I was given this plant last summer. It looks like it was planted in all sphagnum moss, I was going to repot this plant around February.

My apartment is usually about 80 degrees in winter and the humidity is usually less than 30% I have no control over the heat, it's either on or off. My spare room is usually about 75 degrees, but it has a draft that makes the temperature fluctuate by as much as 30 degrees and I know plants don't tend to adapt well to that, a few days ago during the polar vortex it dropped down to 35.

As for the color of the bulb, I knew that when the bulb is black the plant is dead, I just didn't know if it would turn black like the color of the dead trap or the dark brownish grey it seems to be now; I wasn't sure if it was just really sick or dead.

Thanks for the replies!
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!