FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By sjrose77
Hi,

I am new here. I am planning on making a fish tank/terrarium combo and I am wondering if carnivorous plants would be suitable for this. My plan is to use a 20 gallon tank. I am going to build a rock wall out of slate pieces and silicone which I will then attach to the tank with silicone. The rock wall will separate the land and water areas, but still allow water in the land area...so the roots of whatever plants I put in there will be constantly wet/damp. I would use ro water. I would have fish, plants, and maybe frogs in the aquatic part. The alternative is to use a large container and sink it behind the rock wall, allowing the plant medium to stay dry. It would still get a lot of humidity and condensation. I could put a container with holes inside of the bigger container for drainage. Please let me know if this would work. I also plan to put a fairy house, pathway, and manzanita branch trees in the landscape. Lighting tips also appreciated.

Thanks, Sarah
By Matt
Hello Sarah and welcome to FlytrapCare!

There are quite a few species of carnivorous plants that can do well in a terrarium. Probably tropical sundews would be the easiest thing to grow in a terrarium. Any kind of temperate plants, like Venus fly traps or Sarracenia, would not make good terrarium pets.

As for lighting, the brighter the better. I'm not sure what size fluorescent light fixtures would set nicely on top of a 20 gallon aquarium, but fluorescent lighting is probably going to be the least expensive lighting solution that will work well.
By sjrose77
Thanks! I was wondering about Nepenthes, the lowland ones, do you think they could work? I adore Nepenthes...is there a small one that might be suitable?
By Matt
sjrose77 wrote:Thanks! I was wondering about Nepenthes, the lowland ones, do you think they could work? I adore Nepenthes...is there a small one that might be suitable?
Yes, Nepenthes can make good terrarium plants, but most of them don't stay small for long.
By carnivorous1123
hey sarah welcome, the best fluorescents would be 6500kelvin or daylight bulbs, are you planning on keeping the neps in the crevices of the rocks? also what would the temperatures be inside during summer and winter? for lowland ideal temps would be about 7*c -30/40*c/50?*c (they tend to like lower of a night time and winter but people grow them succesfully with the same temperatures all year round) also they have been known to eat tings like frogs so you might want to be carefull on the size the pitcher grow to sorry i couldnt have been of more help! , Liam
By linton
Welcome to the forum Sarah, be wary of planting lowland Nepenthes (or any Nepenthes) in an undrained container. Nepenthes are generally not bog plants and with only a few exceptions they will not appreciate waterlogged conditions - this will lead to root rot and the untimely death of your plant. As Matt has suggested, your best bet would probably be the tropical or sub-tropical sundews. Drosera adelae is a good beginners plant for the terrarium as it does not mind growing in warm, wet conditions.
linton liked this
By eou812
Terrarium's are not a good idea for any carnivorous plant except for the cephs and hemiliphoras.
By carnivorous1123
Terrarium's are not a good idea for any carnivorous plant except for the cephs and hemiliphoras.

thats not entirely true eou812, nepenthes are very good terrarium plants if the tnak is big enough, also people i know ahve grown sarracenia, dionaea, drosera successfully for years.
By eou812
of course you can grow any plant in a terrarium but it is not healthy for most carnivorous plants i mean jeesh some people them is what i am trying to say!! lol CARNIVOROUS1123!!
By carnivorous1123
Aamof nepentes and drosera griow very well in a terrarium and i myself are growing some. I know you were trying to help but some of your facts are incorect, and "lol CARNIVOROUS1123" what did you mean by that?
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!