FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By snapperhead51
Hi people , need all your combined help please, am on the big hunt for fresh ping seed , looking for any seed just now , would like to find some one or people who has large collection or collections of pings or even a small collections as well , so we could ask for help in getting ping seed going and sent to AU

pings are hard to get here in AU ,we only have a few selected varieties ,and most people dont want to pollinate or cant be bothered or what ever .

So were looking for any temperate or warm growing pings mainly species ,cool growing as well if available ,, if any one has these below or knows some one who dose have them please contact me ASAP please

P. gypsicola, P. lutea & P. medusina P.laueana , P.caryophyllacea P. benedicta P. crassifolia P.elizabethiae P. fiorii P.hemiepiphytica P.jackii P.planifolia

We will start a large breading program here with T/C and should benefit all later on that wish to help

CAN YOU HELP

thanks John
By Lee
sorry snapper, i dont have any of those ones but next year i will have plenty of grandiflora seeds available which i'd be happy to send you but until then good luck
By Grey
I'm hoping to get some flowers this year, maybe some interesting crosses. I've gotten seed from my plants before but they refused to germinate so I'll see what I can do... couldn't guarantee anything but it's worth a shot. Are there any permits required to send seed to Australia?
By snapperhead51
Hi Grey , Lee all the ping seed is quite legal into AU , AQIS allowed seed import has just about all the ping seed as ok ,so not problems there and if its not we can work with it with in the guide lines
thanks for your reply and interest ,look for ward to any pollination info
John
Grey unusual tat your seed will nor germinate , is it just crosses or specie too your having trouble with , as the ones here the few we have have been no troubles , except when trying to cross complex hybrids , then it seems a little hard to do?
J
By Grey
Fantastic. I'll have a go at it should my Pings decide to flower. Regarding the germination: it's entirely possible that they did germinate but were devoured by gnat larvae; once they leave the safety of a terrarium they tend to get devoured like potato chips. Must be something I'm doing wrong, but I'm gradually weeding out the issues (pun intended), getting closer and closer to having them last more than three months hahahah.

Will keep you informed. I'm reducing my collection so the seed will be limited but I'm very interested in trying to cross P. laueana with P. ibarrae, should be interesting.
By Lee
i think the same is happening to many of my gemmae, harvested hundreds from my grandifloras and repotted them and boom gone just like that!
By bugman
I have many Mexican pings some flowering and many due to flower but have never tried to get seed from them. Is there a technique to know?

I grow several temp pings which I normally find seed pods i am assuming the insects have done the job.

So any tips? And I will give it a go
By snapperhead51
Lee wrote:i think the same is happening to many of my gemmae, harvested hundreds from my grandifloras and repotted them and boom gone just like that!
Think you may need to treat your pots with neem oil solution several times before potting up or put the mix into a micro wave container with a lid , make sure its quite moist to wet and micro wave it 3 times at 100% for 4 to 5 min each time letting it cool between each 4 to 5 min heat treatment , this will kill the lava and bugs in the mix or use the neem oil in the new potting mix as per instructions , but once a week or fortnight for 2 months or so, weeks to kill the lava in the mix ,the lava will hatch in spring , all so what i do it get lots of sun dews like binata , capensis and mulitifidia , Marston Dragon , riga , fifformus , ect, these catch the fly's a lot and help with there demise , not all ways easy as you all ready know ,can be used on old mix or new mix too
this will help
John
By snapperhead51
bugman wrote:I have many Mexican pings some flowering and many due to flower but have never tried to get seed from them. Is there a technique to know?

I grow several temp pings which I normally find seed pods i am assuming the insects have done the job.

So any tips? And I will give it a go
Hi bug man
pollination is very easy and simple ,all you need is a pointed tooth pick , I use the double ended pointed tooth picks , all you need do is put the point of the tooth pick into the opening of the ping flower, at the top of the opening is where the pollen will be , just a gentle rub will open the pollen and then just move it around at the bottom of the opening in and out a few times and push it back into the throat a bit and its done , as long as the pollen has been moved around that area its usually enough ,if that's not clear let me know ,the pollen is just a grainy power looking stuff very distinct
thanks
John
By bugman
Right have done 3 Mexicans that are in flower currently and a couple of grandiflora my other temp pings are just waking up.

It was easy to do so I will see what happens and if I did it correctly
bugman liked this
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!