FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Rassac
hey guys,
My brother sowed spatulata seeds in this container and luckily they germinated.
Although im concered as the media does not seem deep enough ;( what shall I do i surely cannot repot them .. theyre just too young .. please help ;(ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Cross
I pluck out those huge perlite pieces. Let them go. Their roots are nowhere near big enough to be too big fur that container. They may not even have much rights right now. Let them go, make sure they get light.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Rassac
actually today I have just removed from plastic .. maybe they eat some small flies ^^ who knows xD thanks again sir :)

By Rassac
also am I suppose to give it some sunlight ? As some people say no just light and others say sunlight ;p? im just confused;p

By thefic
Sundews, VFTs, and plants in general need sunlight. Some as much as possible.

There is a difference between placing seedlings outside in the direct sun and placing them in a sunny location. A sunny location is bright indirect light. Like an East to West facing window.

For small seedlings bright indirect light. As much as possible. The small leaves are using sunlight to grow big and strong. A lack of light means etoilation, or leaves that are long and reaching for light. This is not ideal and can harm the overall health of the plant.

Grow lights work if bright light is not possible.

Placing the seedlings in direct sunshine may cook the tiny plants. This means keep them inside on a sunny window. Or under grow lights.

I'm not sure where the confusion comes from. All plants need light to some degree. Even night blooming cacti and mosses need some sort of light whether it is direct, indirect, or filtered.

Plants must have light.

Direct light means directly outside under the sun.

Indirect means a sunny window.

Filtered can mean outside in a shady location where light is dappled around the plant. Or it can mean in a greenhouse with shade paint or a shade screen. This also dapples the light around the plant.

If you don't have a sunny window then invest in a shelving unit with grow lights. This allows you to control light conditions by moving the light closer or farther away from the plant as well as the number of hours of light the plant gets.

I would read the how to stickies and do some more research for the best methods of care. A lot of people did a lot of hard work to make sure that all aspects of growing carnivores have been covered.
By Rassac
hey guys again .. so since I removed it completely from the bag I can now see that her dew (small invisible/white roundish thingies ^^) are kinda decreasing ;(.
Do you think I should put it back in the bag ?

By thefic
No.

Plants need some consistency.

Removing the bag decreases the humidity. Now the plant must adjust to the new amount of humidity. Each change will result in slight shock to the plants system. Time is needed to adjust.

Again, you need to read the how to stickies. They are chock full of good info. Especially questions like these that have been asked and answered before.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!