FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By megojoe
Hi All I am new to growing Baby Fly Traps

I need Help!!!
1. I got some seeds from the fly trap store (Matt)
2. I did 10 seeds in Moss 10 seeds in peat
3 All went good (I am paw paw now) all of them grow
4.Now they are been eating up with the Green Mush grown all around them
some has covered the babies, I have to on cover them with a toothpick.

So every one how can i help them and Stop the Green Junk from killing my babies ??? :?:
Help

How can I stop it, (See Pictures be low) or go here and look at all pictures http://hostminis.net/flytraps

Thank all you for help
Steve
By Shadowtski
More experienced FlyTrap growers might have a better idea. But I suggest getting some silica sand from a swimming pool filter. You can usually find this at a home improvement store or a Pool supply company. Put a thin layer of it on top of you encroaching Green Slime. (Probably some type of Algae) Use a toothpick or something similar to move the sand around your baby FlyTrap. As it grows, add a thicker top-dressing of sand. It should help keep the creeping crud in check. Don't top water your plant. Water it from the bottom by the tray method. This should keep the top of your pot dry enough to discourage the Green Goo.

Good growing,
Mike
By Nick
Definitely algae. I'd suggest something like the above post with the addition of trying to remove as much as you can manually and scaling back the watering a bit.
By Smooter80
Next time rinse your peat. That will greatly reduce or prevent the algae from growing. There is no need to leave indoor VFTs in standing water so only water as needed.

If these were mine, I would combine the other's advice with a twist. Manually scrape off all of the algae, top water flush until your run off is 30 TDS or less, cover the surface with sand.

IME, top watering can actually keep the algae from forming. It's much more difficult to eliminate than to prevent. When I've forgotten to rinse peat for seeds, I used ionic Silver to just kill it then went back to top watering.
By megojoe
I want to Thank all for you help
see below what a nursery said to do:

OK I called the nursery close to my house and the owner lady came over and she went in the green house looked around
and then look at the fly trap then turn off the green house fans, rubbed her fingers on the fan and said ok she knows what is happening , the fans is blow in (spanish moss spores) and because my back yard has the marsh behind it.

and there is no killing it but with 150f temp or with bleach and water.

then she asked where did i start them from seeds,
I said in my house in the little green house with 5 shelves and that i had 3 of them with Led grow lights so I showed her them.

Now she said how to fix this :
1. mix peat and sand 10% sand in a blow the wash it 2 times then on the second time nuke it for 120 sc in the macwave
and let cool over night.
2. use new pot washed and cleaned in hot water.
3. fill the little pot with the new clean peat.
4. pull each fly up with toothpick then spray it good with clean water then put the baby in the new pots.
one at a time but don't expose the pot close to each other or the spanish moss spores will get in the new pot.
5. put the in a new tray and put in the little green house in side the house with the led.
6. only put 1/8 water in the tray.

and last leave them in doors for the rest off the summer or for ever.

all because where i live.

Do you think i should do this? :?:
By Nick
What is the weather like where you live? These plants grow wonderfully outdoors in many climates.

Also, algae/moss/fungus spores are practically everywhere. I think this lady is slightly misinformed. Some decent points, some (IMO) hogwash.
By Zstaxx
thatonechick371 wrote:I was going to suggest transplanting them into new media, so yeah, I think id go with what the nursery said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Any tips for transplanting babies? I have a similar problem but have been putting off transplanting them due to a fear of them all dying.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
By thatonechick371
Zstaxx wrote:
thatonechick371 wrote:I was going to suggest transplanting them into new media, so yeah, I think id go with what the nursery said.

Any tips for transplanting babies? I have a similar problem but have been putting off transplanting them due to a fear of them all dying.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Very carefully. I use a moist toothpick for seedlings. ImageImage

By Fishkeeper
Seedlings don't have deep roots yet, they should be fine being transplanted. Just pick them up with a toothpick, then, if you can, gently touch the root with the toothpick to push it lightly against the soil. It'll be fine.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!