FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
How exactly do drosera grow from seed? Do they steadily increase in size, or do they stay one size then suddenly get a little bigger? I can't seem to find any descriptions anywhere. (maybe I'm not looking hard enough) I thought I'd ask you guys since many of you have had lots of experience growing drosera from seed.
By Sundews69
They steadily increase size. They make small leaves at first and over the next couple months to years, they get larger leaves, bit by bit.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By ChefDean
It actually depends on the species.
In my experience, many dews will germinate, grow three or four carnivorous leaves, then stop. During this pause, now that they have more than a couple cotyledons, they can photosynthesize and maybe catch a couple tiny critters while they focus on growing roots to bring in sufficient water to grow more leaves, which will help them grow more roots, lather, rinse, repeat. This pause may only be a couple of weeks, but I've had burmannii stay small, 1-2 mm, for a few months.
Others seem to have found their balance and just slow down, not stop, leaf production while they begin to develop their roots.
In both cases, if they're fed, it will help speed up the process, but it's dang near impossible to feed them at this size. It may be better to just make sure they're in bright light, kept moist, and let them do their thing.
By NightRaider
I think it also depends on spacing. I've noticed mine that are sown closely together grow a few tiny leaves and then stall out for months but take back off when separated and repotted, but ones that grew spaced out or were alone in a cell from the start generally grow larger and for longer before stalling.
TrapsAndDews, ChefDean liked this

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!