FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By deathvalley69
I’m getting one small Nepenthes jamban pretty soon and wanted to keep it on my east facing windowsill but i’m assuming there is not enough humidity nor night temp. drop so i plan to keep it in i think either a 10 or 12 gallon cube fish tank which is about 11 1/2”x11 1/2”x11 1/2” in dimensions. I have some questions about the care requirements of N. Jamban and can really use some advice.

1) For light i have a single Sunblaster 26W 6400K CFL in a pretty big circle light fixture which is about a foot wide. The bulb has 1700 lumens but i heard lumens isnt a good way to measure light for plants. Its about 12” from the bottom where the plants in pots will be sitting. I plan to have on for 12 to 14 hours a day. Is this sufficient?

2) The humidity in the tank seems to stay around 70% - 80% with the little ultrasonic fogger i have sitting in the water basin. How crucial is the night time temperature drop for this species?? My temperatures seem to be around 75 to 80F during the day and around 65 to 70F at night.

3) I eventually will have to move the plant because my tank is pretty small. I was thinking my east facing bedroom windowsill so is 4 to 5 hours of direct sunlight good enough? I heard i can do the bag method to acclimate it to the lower humidity in my room (30% - 40%) but I would think that the jamban would get too hot on a windowsill in direct sunlight in a plastic bag.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Best
Last edited by deathvalley69 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
By deathvalley69
nimbulan wrote:I've always been told that N. jamban grows well in typical household conditions. It's supposed to be the easiest of the toilet bowl species.
Provided that you acclimate the plant right? I'm wondering wether or not they can do without much temp drop at night and high humidity because there probably isn't much at all in my room. But if i can grow it on my windowsill I won't have to put an icepack in the tank every damn night. I think i'm gonna wait for it to get bigger then try to grow it on my windowsill..
By deathvalley69
nimbulan wrote:What sort of temperatures and humidity are we talking about?
i put a cheap hydrometer and thermometer in the tank thats sitting in my room with nothing else and no fogger and it was around 75 to 80 degrees and 30 to 40 percent humidity.. I’ll probably grow it inside the tank with a few inches of water at the bottom and something to hold the plant up. I also bought one of those cheap ultrasonic atomizer foggers that sit in the water with led lights and a 12V fan to circulate the fog, the fan seems pretty over powered for this small tank though. Are there any sufficient CFL bulbs that can be purchased at say a home depot? What wattage and Kelvin number would you recommend if i am just using this one bulb in a 12” wide reflector? The light would probably be about a foot or more above the plant not sure cuz i still have to set it up and i will have some sort of clear plastic top to try to keep in the humidity.
By deathvalley69
nimbulan wrote:So it always stays above 70F in there? That may be a bit warm.
yeah about 70F at night in the tank. I’ll probaby have to use the ice pack method to get the night temp drop.
By deathvalley69
So i edited the first post i made on this thread more based on how my setup is going to be like now.. Maybe I’ll post some pics if of it if that helps.
By deathvalley69
Heres my setup.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (924.88 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (871.49 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (828.9 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
By deathvalley69
Hungry Plants wrote:looks like it will work. If that's plexi on top its probably going to start to sag. Does that fan blow into the tank far air movement?
yeah it blows air in through the open corner to get the fog circulating instead of sitting at the bottom of the tank. I had to point the fan more straight across the tank than into it because it was too strong. And the thing on top is two pieces of thin clear plastic i found and taped together to reach both ends of the tank.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!