FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dragoness
I purchased some seeds, I have moss, several terrariums to work with, and several ways to keep it heated, misted, illuminated. The thing I am having a hard time finding information on is what kind of potting medium. I have seen several suggestions, none of which are the same. I am assuming it is some combination of sand, peat, perlite, vermiculite, etc, as is typical with carnivores. Anything work particularly well for you guys?
By Dragoness
does LFS = Long Fiber Sphagnum?
By tzestan
Rafflesiana is not picky on medium. I have 1 pot in 100% dead LFS. Another pot in 3:2:5 ratio of peat:perlite:LFS. Both plants growing and picthering well. They have been near 2 years with me.

For seeds, LFS is good.
By Dragoness
I'm not sure where I can get live moss locally. I'm not sure any of the garden center carry it. Peat, perlite, vermiculite, sand, etc are all plentiful. as is dry sphagnum.
By mloebl
Dragoness wrote:I'm not sure where I can get live moss locally. I'm not sure any of the garden center carry it. Peat, perlite, vermiculite, sand, etc are all plentiful. as is dry sphagnum.
I haven't been able to find any of the live New Zealand moss here in the US :( ... but I've gotten bulk live sphag moss from eBay a few times and had good success.

-Mike
By Dragoness
just discovered sphagnum growing in my own yard. Am going to attempt to grow some now.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!