FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By zendercosm_11
{bump}
Last edited by zendercosm_11 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Apollyon
I purchased from bergen water gardens through facebook. I personally didn't have a bad experience but the yellow bugs thing worries me. I recently had an aphid outbreak that came out of nowhere. I can't say where they came from because it could have been anywhere. I inspect new plants but it's my fault for not quarantining them. Lesson learned.

Pests do happen but at the same time, while I know they turn out a lot of products, they should at least inspect the plant before they ship it. I noticed that about my local nursery. They put a lot into the presentation and making it a nursery that stands out but their maintenance is just bad. Virtually every plant in their greenhouse had some kind of pest. Thanks to them I have collected quite a number of pesticides and treatment options for plants.
zendercosm_11 liked this
By zendercosm_11
That’s a relief to hear you say about your personal experience, except for the bit where you had to actually deal with pests. That’s a real drag. :(

I bought two hybrids at that particular time. While only one is displaying symptoms right now, I’m still a little skeptical. I rashly bought 5 more plants from them, after I assumed their plants were “hunky dory.” What’s that you said about learning lessons? Lol.

I have yet to go deeply explore this forum’s posts about solutions to the issue. I’ve been researching other places online & reading a ton of product labels. I realize there multiple avenues, but I’m just about ready to go nuclear with a systemic pesticide & run all the risks. My finger is < > that close to pushing the red button. :twisted:
By Apollyon
zendercosm_11 wrote:That’s a relief to hear you say about your personal experience, except for the bit where you had to actually deal with pests. That’s a real drag. :(

I bought two hybrids at that particular time. While only one is displaying symptoms right now, I’m still a little skeptical. I rashly bought 5 more plants from them, after I assumed their plants were “hunky dory.” What’s that you said about learning lessons? Lol.

I have yet to go deeply explore this forum’s posts about solutions to the issue. I’ve been researching other places online & reading a ton of product labels. I realize there multiple avenues, but I’m just about ready to go nuclear with a systemic pesticide & run all the risks. My finger is < > that close to pushing the red button. :twisted:
People tend to use stuff like Neem Oil diluted with water. I've had mixed results with it. I know Matt recommended one that was supposed to be pretty gentle and could be used on all carnivorous plants. I'll need to go back and look. Personally I've taken to using Bayer's 3 in 1 insecticide/miticide. Mine turned into an infestation, mainly on my trees but a few CPs too. I had tried Neem Oil over the course of a few weeks but it didn't completely remove them but it did help. They got pretty bad though. I went systemic and I believe they're all gone. I've tried to be pretty vigilant about it since. They're all indoors. Thankfully I have a lot of plants that are shielded and/or outdoors. I'd double check Bayer's on Nepenthes but I believe it is safe. Neem Oil you can purchase on Amazon (get a concentrate it is MUCH cheaper and you know what the ingredients are).

EDIT: Acephate, that's the chemical.
zendercosm_11 liked this
By zendercosm_11
I will definitely look for neem concentrate online. I’ve had at least 5 people tell me to try it, first. I was leaning towards Dinotefuran or just some wettable Orthene powder. I bought a bottle of the Bioadvanced 3 in 1, but was told to try a longer-lasting method than that particular product. Never came across acephate. I really appreciate the information here—I’ve been losing sleep over this issue. :shock:

Edit: I just looked up Orthene 97, & notice it is made up mostly of Acephate. Go figure. :lol:
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!