FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By pretty
Ordered a mix pack of drosera seeds from a sort of shady source.

Planted them Dec 6th- I'll be tracking their progress here as my own blog for my first go at CPS from seed :] Also documenting the growth of my other CPs

The growing mixture is pure LFS crumbled up and rinsed. The pots with perlite seen in the photos are 50/50. Using distilled water.
The first week under the lights for 18hr/6hr light cycles. They were closed up in ziploc using a shallow tray with a tiny bit of water to keep them moist and warm. No thermometer or hygrometer yet (soon to come!) but I'd guess 75ish and WAY humid. lol.

D. Brevifolia and D. Capensis Dec 6th before transplant

right after transplant

Dec. 13th mixed seeds showing growth, 2nd pot an old long thought dead red or wide d. cape sprouting and baby d. brev

Dec. 20th - D. Cape (red or wide, not sure yet) sprout from 3 month old thought to be dead root system. And baby D. Brevifolia
Mixed seed sprouts, some starting to show red on their first 'real' leaves.

D. Brev and D. Cape looking good so far, still minimal-no dew.

My Marimo moss balls!
Last edited by pretty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By pretty
Hey thanks Daniel! I hope I'm doing it right, feeling good so far :]

I wish the sprouts would hurry up and grow faster, I want to figure out what seeds I got in this 'mix' pack. So far they all look the same! When will I be able to start seeing differences? Do a lot of drosera seedlings look identical, or do u think I maybe got a not-so mixed pack and got one kind of plant?
By Daniel_G
Binata is a confusing one. It has forked leaves, but starts of with regular leaves!
After a few weeks you should be able to just about tell :)
By Daniel_G
Hehehe, you should try growing Things like Nepenthes and Sarracenia from seed. So much waiting before you see the plant's full potential!
By pretty
Funny you mentioned that. I have a pot with some Neph seeds- I started those the same time as these. The Neph seeds all molded. Not sure what happened, they are treated and kept under the same conditions as the drosera seeds :\

I'll try them again once these babes have matured more.
By pretty
Oh, believe me Jaws, I'm sure everyone that knows me is damn tired of hearing about them. I'm so syked!

Bananaman, ebay, of all places! I've ordered quite a few aquatic plants from the same seller, always had good experiences- these were in my fishtank at work, but the fish has since moved on, so the moss balls are hangin out under the lights in my light/grow house :D

Pretty soon I'll have at least 2 leaves on some of my babies, thats when to transplant, yeah?
pretty liked this
By pretty
weekly update 12/27/12

D. Brevifolia and D. Capensis

Mixed mystery seeds, 2nd pot an old long thought dead red or wide d. cape sprout

Transplanted mystery mix (tried to keep similar looking sprouts together)
Pot 1
Pot 2
Pot 3

Surprise! Unexpected d. brevifolia baby!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!