FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Shes Crofty
I opened the Mystery Box and was super excited! :D

I thought that was really awesome of you to try to pick out ones that I didn't have! I didn't have Pink Venus yet, but I love FTS Crimson Sawooth, Czech Giants, and Seed Growns. Seed grown & FTS Crimsons are of my (many) favorites!

Thank you so much!

I snapped some quick photos of them..
I'm kind of a messy potter with tinier plants.. don't make too much fun!! ;)

By David F
They mystery box I got from her was quite awesome as well!

Okay I'm just gonna say it, pretty much all red leafed cultivars, with the exceptions of Maroon monster, are punny as heck, they look all nice for about a week then they start to have a ton of foliage die back compared to the other cultivars in the same condition and it takes them longer to grow back.
By Shes Crofty
Punny? I think Monster Maroon *cough* I mean Maroon Monster is kind of punny.

I sort of like the red cultivars, but none really stick out as much to me as FTS Crimson Sawtooth, Red Piranha, and Maroon Monster. (which I really love)

Holland Red and Royal Red seem really interesting to me though.. I want one but I never catch them in stock. lol.
By bigred
I had a mystery box as well and of all of them, it seems the plants are very pale/white. In my conditions they have grown way different. Actually all my FTS orders look strange. And you can see the pics on the store look way different.

For instance, that pink venus picture posted above. The leaves should not be skinny or white, they should be typical leaves that have red parts. Also, the FTS plants leaves grow slouched to the ground and in a circle.

Is this because they are out of tissue culture and/or low lighting? If not they are for sure not growing to full capacity and as I said within a month, my traps doubled in size, started growing upright, turned more green and normal fat leaves.
By frog
I like that seed grown plant.
By Shes Crofty
Dubstep13 wrote:awesome dude im getting a crimsim sawtooth bundle and seedgrown on the way with a B52 soon should be here monday
AWW awesome! Crimson Sawtooth are one of the better looking red flytraps I have seen.
I forgot about the seed grow bundle.. I must get one soon! We are like addicts dude..
bigred wrote:I had a mystery box as well and of all of them, it seems the plants are very pale/white. In my conditions they have grown way different. Actually all my FTS orders look strange. And you can see the pics on the store look way different.

For instance, that pink venus picture posted above. The leaves should not be skinny or white, they should be typical leaves that have red parts. Also, the FTS plants leaves grow slouched to the ground and in a circle.

Is this because they are out of tissue culture and/or low lighting? If not they are for sure not growing to full capacity and as I said within a month, my traps doubled in size, started growing upright, turned more green and normal fat leaves.
I think they look different because they are way younger plants than in the store pictures. The plants I got in this mystery box were very small, a couple small enough to be considered "babies" I think (not complaining). I remember the first mystery box I got, I remember thinking none of the plants I got looked like the store pictures. After watching it grow a bit more I started to think differently.
frog wrote:I like that seed grown plant.
Yeah! Even though I hadn't had Pink Venus yet, I was super stoked about those seed growns. Leah picked out some really interesting ones and I really like them, they were my favorites of the mystery box. I look forward to watching them grow.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
By Matt
bigred wrote:Actually all my FTS orders look strange. And you can see the pics on the store look way different.
Remember that flytraps change in appearance throughout the year with the seasons. Further, flytraps grown under different conditions can look drastically different. You can't look at a single photo of a flytrap and know what it will look like all 365 days of the year and in every growing location and conditions around the United States. The photos will give you a general idea of what the plant can and will most likely look like, but not all plants of the same clone are going to appear exactly alike all the time, everywhere they grow.
bigred wrote:For instance, that pink venus picture posted above. The leaves should not be skinny or white, they should be typical leaves that have red parts. Also, the FTS plants leaves grow slouched to the ground and in a circle. Is this because they are out of tissue culture and/or low lighting? If not they are for sure not growing to full capacity and as I said within a month, my traps doubled in size, started growing upright, turned more green and normal fat leaves.
The reason the Pink Venus in the mystery box looks that way is because it was in a pot full of other Pink Venus plants and it was crowded and not getting light to the parts that are pinkish/white. Mystery box plants are typically not grown in the same conditions as plants that you'd receive by ordering a single plant. I sound like a broken record I've typed this so many times:

Plants out of mystery boxes are NOT the same quality or size that you'd receive if you ordered a single flytrap from the FlytrapStore.

Therefore, they won't likely look much like the mature plants that you'll see in the photos of the individual flytrap products. But then again, there aren't any photos of plants for the mystery box products, so one shouldn't try to make the parallel between the two products (i.e. a Pink Venus in a mystery box should not be compared to a young-adult or mature Pink Venus flytrap). Taking a quick look at the drastic price difference between the cost of a plant in a mystery box versus an individual plant should give the buyer some idea of what they'll be getting. The 5 plant mystery box is only $2 per plant. Compare that to a young-adult Pink Venus at $14.95 and that should give a good idea of the size and quality of the plants that you'll be receiving in a mystery box at about one-tenth the cost.

Mystery boxes are intended to be extreme deals for people to potentially get a good variety of plants (though they could receive all the same clone in a mystery box) and give Steve and I the opportunity to thin out any excess plants we may have. They do not in any way represent the quality or size of plants that the FlytrapStore sells as individual plants.
Shes Crofty wrote:I remember the first mystery box I got, I remember thinking none of the plants I got looked like the store pictures. After watching it grow a bit more I started to think differently.
Right, smaller plants typically don't look like they will when they're adults, just like we don't look the same when we're children as we do as adults. And plants grown in crowded conditions, which are sometimes put in mystery boxes, don't have the same color as they will develop when they aren't fighting for light.
Shes Crofty wrote:Leah picked out some really interesting ones and I really like them, they were my favorites of the mystery box. I look forward to watching them grow.
Those seed-grown ones should keep nice color most of the year. I really like the deep red coloration in them. Post photos of them periodically, if you would, so that I can continue to enjoy them :)
By David F
All I'm saying is the red ones don't acclimate as well (usually) thats what I mean by punny, not that they arn't attractive or something, they are my favorites in terms of how beautiful they are.
By Shes Crofty
Matt wrote: Those seed-grown ones should keep nice color most of the year. I really like the deep red coloration in them. Post photos of them periodically, if you would, so that I can continue to enjoy them :)
I will for sure!
By Matt
David F wrote:All I'm saying is the red ones don't acclimate as well (usually) thats what I mean by punny, not that they arn't attractive or something, they are my favorites in terms of how beautiful they are.
Yes, the red ones usually take a bit longer to adjust to being repotted. In general, red clones are a bit more slow growing than green ones.

And I think you mean "puny" not "punny" :)
By bigred
Well if it is strictly a conditioning thing of how the plants are living then I agree, but as far as "will not look like pictured" or "not mature" well: All my plants immediately grew upright with fat green (or colored) leaves and not in swirls with skinny faded white leaves as soon as I planted them from shipping. Even those baby B52's special I got, all the new growth is upright and not again swirling and such. I have about 200 plants and even the tiniest of my plants don't look like that.

I'm not sure how fast the plants are supposed to grow over time, but I'll see how fast those baby b52's get over the next month. All my other bigger plants (mystery box etc) doubled in size in a little over a month.
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!