FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By nyharp
Hey guys,

I got a problem here. I recently purchased two (1-2 yr old) VFT's 6 days ago. I was only able to plant them two days later. I bought a 12'' diameter terrarium which I filled the bottom 3" with cleaned rocks for drainage, the next 3" with perilite and sphagnum moss and left the next 4" empty for the traps to breath. I've got a 100w, 120 v bulb 7 inches away from the top of my plants, and I have been giving them 12 hours of light from the bulb. I keep the soil mix moist and the room I keep the traps in is about 73* - ish. (my set up is attch.)

Now since I have had them planted the began to wilt. So I decided to take them outside to get some sunlight, but I later found out that this might shock the plant and possibly kill it. Well it's now been two days since I brought it back inside and it looks like this. (2nd attachment)

So please, if anyone can help me save my traps, I would greatly appreciate it!
Attachments:
You can hardly see em' because e blends in with the dirt. He's that shriveled. TT_TT
You can hardly see em' because e blends in with the dirt. He's that shriveled. TT_TT
1340151182855.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
My set up.
My set up.
1340151161236.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Last edited by nyharp on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
By magicwiser
From your discription it sounds like your plants only have 3 or 4 inches of soil. VTFs need at least 6 inches of soil if not 8 to 10 inches to be happy. The first thing I would do is replant them in deep pots. Also keep in mind that it is pretty normal for VFTs to die some right after repotting. Some of the older and larger traps will wilt and turn black but after a week or so, you should start to see new growth coming from the center of the plant. Hope this helps and good luck with the new plants!
By Starchy
Your soil looks very dry, I would suggest watering more. You should consistently keep it moist, allowing it to almost dry (but not fully dry) before each top watering. You can also use the tray method:
flytrapcare.com wrote:One way to water a Venus Flytrap is the tray method. Most media (soil) that Venus Fly Traps are potted in is very good at retaining water. The media will soak up water from a tray or bowl almost like a sponge.The tray method works well when plants are actively growing, are in lots of direct sunlight, and the weather is warm, or during vacations when one is not able to check one's plants.
You basically make sure you have a drainage hole(s) at the bottom of your pot, and place that pot into a bigger "tray" which has an inch or two of water. The plant will absorb this water, as needed. If you use the tray method, you should still water from the top every so often to make sure you are rinsing the media of any minerals.

Also, make sure you are watering with distilled water, reverse osmosis water, or rain water as these types of water will not be mineral-rich. Do not use tap water, spring water, nor well water!

In terms of lighting, you need to pick one or the other (outdoors or indoors). If you want to switch from one to the other, you should do so gradually, and not switch consistently. My VFT is outdoors, and I am in zone 6 (Massachusetts). I get about 10-12 hours of direct sunlight daily. I use the tray method the entire time my VFT is in the sun.

I have other CPs (carnivorous plants) that are growing indoors (still germinating at the moment). My light setup is the Quantum Badboy, which is the same as Veronis uses, and explains here. I use 2x 54W 5000 lumens 6500k bulbs, and 2x 2900k bulbs. 6500k are preferred for VFTs, but the additional 2900k adds a different color spectrum dimension.

I am no expert at growing these things, but have done a lot of research. I am, sure others that have more knowledge will be able to help you out. I just thought I would post since nobody has responded yet.
Starchy liked this
By Tony C
In addition to the points above, the light you are using is not appropriate for use with plants. Incandescent lights provide a light spectrum that is mostly useless for photosynthesis and produce way too much heat. The plant is likely cooking in the glass.
By nyharp
Thank you all very much. I will be able to put the plant in more soil this evening but the bulb will have to wait until Friday. Now regarding the bulb, I, sadly, will be unable to afford such a set up and would have no place to put it. So as I am understanding it, all I need is a fluorescent bulb at 5000 lms and 6500k and one at 2900k correct? Also I am going to assume I could find some more, compact, economical for me, lights at a hard ware store or say sam's club. or are these lights extremely difficult to find?
By 95slvrZ28
You don't need an elaborate professional grade grow light setup in order to successfully grow one plant. If you can, it's best to put the plant in a bright window where it can get real sun. If that is absolutely not an option look for a "daylight" CFL (compact fluorescent, the curly bulbs) in the highest Watt rating you can find. That should be substantial for a single plant.
By Volle
I'm planning on buying a 20-watt 6700 K fluorescent 2 feet i think and one 18-watt 2700 K fluorescent lamp
the bulb alone costs PHP60 (US$1.5) but its housing as they call it costs PHP190 (US$4.7) good thing they do have those kinds of lights in this city

i'm also wonderin why they called 6700 warm and 2700 daylight?
By cookie0117
Volle wrote:I'm planning on buying a 20-watt 6700 K fluorescent 2 feet i think and one 18-watt 2700 K fluorescent lamp
the bulb alone costs PHP60 (US$1.5) but its housing as they call it costs PHP190 (US$4.7) good thing they do have those kinds of lights in this city

i'm also wonderin why they called 6700 warm and 2700 daylight?
Those K ratings and descriptions are the wrong way round at the end. 2700 is warm light and 6700 is daylight.

My VFTs are outside in a cold frame at the moment taking the British weather as it comes, they are just shielded from the wind and rain. I have recently got myself a light for my indoor plants but was unwilling to spend a large amount of money as I do not need the set up year round and would rather invest in plants!!

So for a total of less than £15 including the bulb I have myself a a place to keep my plants.

As you can see its 1 bulb, a 30 watt CFL. Its 150 watt equivalent, 1900 lumen, 6400K. It is shining in a large box lined with bubble wrap and foil. It has a large amount of room inside:

After several weeks under this set up all the droseras are dueing up nicely and reshooting. There is also some VFT seeds and tips of flower stalks, although im not expecting to see any action here for awhile yet!!

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!