FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Jenny Lee
Here is my precious Venus flytrap. I have been babying it for quite a while now and it has done so well even in this heat. I water it in the morning and it is under shade all day so it is doing so well.!! I’m even taking it on vacation with me in a few weeks!! :D
Attachments:
E877A994-05DC-48E5-822D-1217187D63F2.jpeg
E877A994-05DC-48E5-822D-1217187D63F2.jpeg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 4052 times
By Adrien
My greenhouse gets highs of 106F and the plants do just fine! They get full direct sun for about 5 hours. Downside is, no more colorful traps! I should be getting an exhaust fan in the mail this Thursday so I cannot wait :D
Matt liked this
By Jenny Lee
I just don't have the heart to leave my poor VFT out in 116 degrees. So I brought it inside today. I need to know how many hours direct sun it needs because in the the East facing window it gets several hours in the morning but that is all. I do have a plant light I can use to supplement some direct light. If you could help me on this I would appreciate it!
By optique
It gets very hot and very cold on the Carolina boarder where VTF's originated. I am sure they can take most heat waves as long as they don't go dry.
Jenny Lee liked this
By Matt
116°F is definitely a little too hot for Venus flytraps. Yes, they can handle it and it won't kill them, but it will stress them out a lot and they won't grow well. You did the right thing by bringing it indoors.

If you're home and can move the plant around, I'd suggest just giving it morning sun for the first couple of hours outdoors then moving it into the sunniest windowsill you have for the rest of the day. Alternatively, you could put it under a 50% shade cloth and it should alleviate the heat enough that it would do better.
MikeB liked this
By MikeB
optique wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:38 pmIt gets very hot and very cold on the Carolina boarder where VTF's originated. I am sure they can take most heat waves as long as they don't go dry.
I live just 40 miles (65 kilometers) west of the flytrap's native range. While it gets hot and humid here in the summer, 106° F (41° C) would be extremely rare. A noteworthy high is around 96° F (35° C), but the heat index (what it feels like when you factor in the humidity) can hit 102° F (39° C) on those days. When you step outside, it feels like someone threw a wet blanket over your head and shoved you into a sauna.

If you want to see what flytraps are currently experiencing, check out the weather forecast for Wilmington, North Carolina.
By optique
I feel in general a lot of people kill plants by over caring for them by creating unstable conditions , a heat wave that peaks 106 should not really hurt a flytrap its been going on here in the Carolina's a lot longer then humans have been around to record. Sure it may not be the optimal temp but it should be fine.

I have my CP plants out by my garden and i just top the water off when i water my garden, other than that i leave them alone.

the 2 black pots of small flytraps below are the 25 for 25 deal from Matt's store, so many people kept asking me to sell them fly trap i got them to resell next year.
Hello!

I also just started growing this plant. Can we dis[…]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!