FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nauz
Teye01 wrote:
Nauz wrote:
Matt wrote: Yep, I should. If not, is the one you use on this forum your preferred email? Yeah, some sort of Japanese maple. I don't know the type, but Bloodgood is probably correct. We have a very prolific mature tree in the front yard and I dug up one of the seedlings a couple of years ago and put it in a pot. It's growing like crazy this year.
Oh man sweet, grow about 1' a year or so. Prune it and keep it like bush for a bonsai! I've got a few growing on the porch as well.
Yeah, but first let it be in the open ground otherwise it won't thicken a lot and it won't look like an old tree. Or you have to go for mame, but even than it has to thicken a couple of centimeters. And while you have it in the open ground, let it grow a sacrificing branch at the top, cut it back, do it over and over again and you will get a thicker trunk in less time and achieve taper.
Nice sarr's do you have Matt!
Oh yeah forgot about that thicken the root by putting it in the ground will do it for sure. But I can't do it with my two year old plant because I'm renting at an apartment. Anyways sorry about the off topic Matt. Nice sars looking good.
By Teye01
It doesn't actually have to be in the ground. If it is in a large pot and do the 'sacreficing branch' thing I wrote about, it will become thicker as well only a little bit slower. And don't forget to make the nebari look good :lol:.
(Sorry for going off-topic Matt, I just couldn't resist it ;))
By Nauz
Teye01 wrote:It doesn't actually have to be in the ground. If it is in a large pot and do the 'sacreficing branch' thing I wrote about, it will become thicker as well only a little bit slower. And don't forget to make the nebari look good :lol:.
(Sorry for going off-topic Matt, I just couldn't resist it ;))
Lol hopefully Matt don't mind, thanks for the info teye01 much appreciated I'll have to try that with my porch Acer Palmatum.
By Matt
Nauz wrote:Lol hopefully Matt don't mind, thanks for the info teye01 much appreciated I'll have to try that with my porch Acer Palmatum.
I don't mind at all! The Japanese maple was in the photo and this is a forum where we talk about growing things, so have at it! :)
By Nauz
Looks good dionae, where do you live and is it gonna get full sun?
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!