FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Ras wrote:I'm slightly obsessed with Kilauea for no good reason.
Get an FTS Flaming Lips. It's virtually the same plant except better in every way.

I grew them side by side for a couple of years before selecting and naming FTS Flaming Lips and choosing not to officially name and distribute FTS Kilauea.
By Goodkoalie
Matt wrote:
Get an FTS Flaming Lips. It's virtually the same plant except better in every way.

I grew them side by side for a couple of years before selecting and naming FTS Flaming Lips and choosing not to officially name and distribute FTS Kilauea.
Do you still have any kilaueas you can sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Ras
Matt wrote:

I think its the name that gets me more than anything, but I like the deep red color aswell as its seemingly (from what I can judge through pictures) low growing habits, shark shaped teeth, so on. I'm sure everyone has their own cultivar they like but have no good reason why.
does flaming lips get as good coloration? I would also love to see any side by side pics you may have if you have free time. I was going to wait for steves store to open to get a phoenix I think is what its called now. but if flaming lips really is just a more vigorous Kilauea then I have no excuse why I shouldn't buy it instead.
By Matt
Goodkoalie wrote:Do you still have any kilaueas you can sell?
I still grow it in my personal collection, labeled correctly, but I don't keep track of them when I repot. As I already mentioned, I really don't find the plant worth naming and distributing. It looks indistinguishable from FTS Flaming Lips.
Ras wrote:does flaming lips get as good coloration?
Yes, better coloration in most cases.
Ras wrote:I would also love to see any side by side pics you may have if you have free time.
I took the below photo last spring about this time of year:
Ras wrote:but if flaming lips really is just a more vigorous Kilauea then I have no excuse why I shouldn't buy it instead.
In my experience, FTS Flaming Lips is more vigorous, gets larger, has better coloration and is an overall better plant. Hence the reason I never chose to officially name and distribute FTS Kilauea.
Matt, Matt liked this
By SundewWolf
Ras wrote: I'm slightly obsessed with Kilauea for no good reason.
You and me both man lol.
This is almost word for word the conversation I had with Matt when I first found out about Kilauea. Still one of my favorites. I really should get a FTS Flaming lips this year though...
By Trapped
So it's been what, a year + half...I'd like to see what that Triton + trichtorfal look like now, if you could post some pics.

Thanks, Michael

(Also, I want to get 6 plants just so I'd have a set of those Moire' party glasses they dome them with.)
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!