FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Dubstep13
looks like the same sundews and green pings i got from lee! i hope they gunna be ok mine still dont have dew or new green growth comming out of them. pings leaves got super thin and like curled like thin wet paper.
Dubstep13 liked this
By Shimizoki
Dubstep13 wrote:looks like the same sundews and green pings i got from lee! i hope they gunna be ok mine still dont have dew or new green growth comming out of them. pings leaves got super thin and like curled like thin wet paper.
Very cool, that we have the same plants. This way we can compare them as they grow. Mine have thick leaves and look to be in great condition.
By Shimizoki
I built the beginning of my Shade house today. Rather than the greenhouses that you northerners have, I need to cut back on sun and lower the temperature part of the year . I used an old dog pen (15'x8'x6') and screened the top, then installed a shelf (Another great use I noticed from the screen is to turn rain fall into a mist, a lot less damaging to my pots). Over time as the amount of plants I get grows I will add more shelves as needed.

On the SE corner I have doubled screen for about 2 feet, then tripled screen for another 2. My hope is that I can use this area to acclimate my plants. They should have the most shade during the hottest part of the day, and be the most open when the morning sun is still cool.

::Shade House::

::Screen Thickness::

::Shelving::

In the background is a kiddie pool I was thinking of converting into a bog, but it may be a tad too large to fit inside of my shade house nicely, I am going to get a smaller one and go from there.
Shimizoki liked this
By jht-union
Hummm, i can't believe i missed this thread. :(

Nice pictures, i looked at all of them! :)
That red pinguicula is definitely planifolia, the others look like they might be lutea.

That's a nice "greenhouse", if you live in florida you should not worry about anything, maybe squirrels.
You said you wanted to convert that kiddie pool into a bog, i would say go for it! What location are you exactly in? north or south? i don't think you should worry about putting it inside, put it next to that shade house where it can get lots of sun! Even in the winter, i think you should not worry, as long as it doesn't go down to lower than 30F then it should be fine. and even if it does, then is fine as well, whenever there's a freeze, just put a black large bag covering the whole bog, and that's it!
I can't wait to see it! :)
I will be more than glad to help you with any informatin as i was trying to build my own before the destruction of the greenhouse :(

Good luck! :)
jht-union liked this
By Shimizoki
Thanks Jht, I was looking for a smaller kiddie pool to save on medium. Another plan I was thinking about (For the larger pool) was to use the deeper half of the pool as a pond, have the shallower side filled with medium and plants would grow. I could keep Koi in there or something. I have this brilliant plan in my head... just need to figure out exactly how to do it.

Any Idea what the 2 types of Sundew are? they were marked as just "Sundew"
By jht-union
Shimizoki wrote:Thanks Jht, I was looking for a smaller kiddie pool to save on medium. Another plan I was thinking about (For the larger pool) was to use the deeper half of the pool as a pond, have the shallower side filled with medium and plants would grow. I could keep Koi in there or something. I have this brilliant plan in my head... just need to figure out exactly how to do it.

Any Idea what the 2 types of Sundew are? they were marked as just "Sundew"
Well the medium is just like $8 in lowes, and it comes in a big bag, do you have that bag i'm thinking of(green with white massive square bag?), How deep is it, the shallower part and the deeper one? Because it should be backwards in my opinion, the deeper the longer and the healthier the roots will be, also during winter it provides more warm if there is more soil. You might instead use the deeper part to put plants, and the other to put water, you should make a compartment and put a lid to preven water from evaporating, whenever the plants need water, you raise the thing that would divide the two parts, and the water filters throught the bottom and up. But problem with this would be that VFT's need drainage, so the water must filtrate fast from either the bottom, of the half.(hope it makes sense).

Or a better idea would be using half to put plants, and the other for water, and you can put aquatic carnivorous plants. I might be able to give you one.

Or even a better one, just use all of it for plants, do a mix of sarracenias, VFT"s and pinguiculas, as well as droseras, and terrestrial utrics. The deeeper part for VFT's and sarras, the shallower part for pinguiculas, droseras, and utrics! :)
But all must be temperate plants, or CP's at least native to FL, like rotundifolia, brevifolia, tracyi, all sarras, VFT's, lutea, planifolia(which i believe is found in FL ;) Hint Hint ).

Do some research about CP's native to FL! ;)

Good luck!
jht-union liked this
By Shimizoki
jht-union wrote:Well the medium is just like $8 in lowes, and it comes in a big bag, do you have that bag i'm thinking of(green with white massive square bag?), How deep is it, the shallower part and the deeper one?
I have truckloads of peatmoss, its the Perlite I am short on, unless of course I shouldn't have the perlite in the bog (And I still haven't found the sand). The Deep side is probably 8", the shallow side is about 6", but there is a slide that would slowly decrease the depth in that area.
jht-union wrote:Because it should be backwards in my opinion, the deeper the longer and the healthier the roots will be, also during winter it provides more warm if there is more soil. You might instead use the deeper part to put plants, and the other to put water, you should make a compartment and put a lid to preven water from evaporating, whenever the plants need water, you raise the thing that would divide the two parts, and the water filters throught the bottom and up.
I figured it didn't matter too much since the shallow side was more than 6" anyways. Besides there is a small mountain on the shallow side I would like to use. There should be tons of warm since the pool is 5 feet across.
jht-union wrote:But problem with this would be that VFT's need drainage, so the water must filtrate fast from either the bottom, of the half.(hope it makes sense).
I was planning on drilling a few holes in the shallow side, then putting an inch of rocks to help with drainage. The medium would be ontop of that.
jht-union wrote:Or a better idea would be using half to put plants, and the other for water, and you can put aquatic carnivorous plants. I might be able to give you one.
That was my plan... and the side with the fish could probably house a bladderwort.
jht-union wrote:Or even a better one, just use all of it for plants, do a mix of sarracenias, VFT"s and pinguiculas, as well as droseras, and terrestrial utrics. The deeeper part for VFT's and sarras, the shallower part for pinguiculas, droseras, and utrics! :)
But all must be temperate plants, or CP's at least native to FL, like rotundifolia, brevifolia, tracyi, all sarras, VFT's, lutea, planifolia(which i believe is found in FL ;) Hint Hint ).
Do some research about CP's native to FL! ;)
Good luck!
That was my exact idea but for only half, that slide allow me to put some smaller root plants like Drosera in an area.
By jht-union
Shimizoki wrote:That was my plan... and the side with the fish could probably house a bladderwort.
bladderworts and fish don't do well together, fish would eat the bladderworts. :( ( i have heard)
By Shimizoki
jht-union wrote:bladderworts and fish don't do well together, fish would eat the bladderworts. :( ( i have heard)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Time to research this... I must find out.
By Shimizoki
Alright, so I am working on my plans for the Bog, Here is my current theory tell me what you think.

I have a Kiddie pool about 4-5' across and 8-10" deep. The pool has a small mountain in the middle. I will divide up the pool into 2 parts, the shallow side with the slide will hold my medium (Unsure of what to use, just peat/peat with perlite/etc.) The deeper end will be lined and then hold a small fish pond. I may divide that section up into 2 parts and keep fish in half and Ultri. in another section. If I do divide the pond into 2 sections I will divide it with screen so that micro-organisms can migrate from either side, as well as the water. I will run a small aquarium pump from the stairs and up into the mountain where it will cause a river to come down (in the prebuilt groves) that I will then waterfall back into the pond.

I have pond liner and the pump, I also have 50000000000 pounds of peat. Things I need to know:

What should the medium be? just peat? peat/perlite?
What fish can I keep that can live in this temperature of water (Florida) and wont have any issues in this scenario.
I want to convert the pump so that it can use Solar (Either a solar AC adapter thing, or a DIY project), any ideas?

::Bog with beagle for size reference::

::Rough bog plans::
Green - Medium, Blue - Water, Red - Fish Pump
By ILC
I was just sitting here looking at your well drawn out plan =D. If you use perlite I see the perlite eventually either floating on the surface of your pond or in your fishes' stomach. But you will use a screen. So that takes care of that. What happens if it rains. Will the screen be able to hold the extra push from the heavy media? I live in Miami and at the end of June; I believed it rain the whole week. What will happen when the water starts to flood your bog =/. I'm just thinking of the oh knows. Don't know if any of this will happen. Just a precaution. What will you do when a hurricane comes to say hello to Florida.
By jht-union
Shimizoki wrote:What should the medium be? just peat? peat/perlite?
What fish can I keep that can live in this temperature of water (Florida) and wont have any issues in this scenario.
I want to convert the pump so that it can use Solar (Either a solar AC adapter thing, or a DIY project), any ideas?
The medium doesn't necesarly have to be all a mix of perlite and peat, or silica and peat, since the stone is the problem for most people, you might want to do all peat, which is fine, or you can do a mix like layers(that's how i kept mines last year!)
In the bottom peat moss, like in the middle or so i put a mix of LFSM and peat and silica sand, a few inches more up and i did all silica sand, a few more and i did silica sand and peat, a few more and i mix the 3, then on top i use silica sand mix with peat, and the 2-inch below was all peat, below that a thick layer of silica sand.
So maybe use peat at the bottom, and as you're going up start adding the perlite, and on and on. I really suggest you get silica sand, i can sell you a small baggie of silica sand, it would be cool to have at least one vft growing in all silica in that bog, so you will have to fill the bog first with peat, and then choose a spot, take all the peat, and put all the silica there in that hole. That should be interesting!

Fish i don't know, i wish i could help.
The 3rd question i can't help either. :(
ILC wrote:I was just sitting here looking at your well drawn out plan =D. If you use perlite I see the perlite eventually either floating on the surface of your pond or in your fishes' stomach. But you will use a screen. So that takes care of that. What happens if it rains. Will the screen be able to hold the extra push from the heavy media? I live in Miami and at the end of June; I believed it rain the whole week. What will happen when the water starts to flood your bog =/. I'm just thinking of the oh knows. Don't know if any of this will happen. Just a precaution. What will you do when a hurricane comes to say hello to Florida.

ILC is right in many things, and how will you keep the fish, when it rains, and also the media to just keep it moist, but i guess you will make holes in the bottom right? i think the idea about the fish is a bit complicated, is a good one. But i would rather have all of it for CP's. And yup, when a hurricane hits, what will you do, maybe cover with black bag, and leave it anchored in the soil or something, how will you deal with it?( i'm curious too)

I have a better idea for you, if you really want to grow fish, or have aquatic utrics, here's the ideas, and then the pics. That's what i was going to do for my bog garden( :( ) , fill the small pool with all peat and mix with whatever you're mixing with(perlite or silica). Get a square or round trash can, or a bucket. and make the shape of the bucket or container in the peat, then take the peat in that area, and put the bucket in, the bucket has to be a bit taller so that peat doesn't fall in or water mix with peat runs into it and destroys everything. and boila, there you got your bog with fish, and aquatic utrics!

If it is 8-inches, then the bucket must be some 10-inchs or so! I hope you like this idea!

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!