FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Shimizoki wrote:Oh well... I guess I need to be patient with the traps.
That's the name of the game with growing nearly all carnivorous plants. Most of them are remarkably slow growers. I'm in the process of growing Cephalotus from seed for the first time ever just so I know how it works. Took 3 months just to see germination! Patience and persistence are the keys to growing these wonderful plants well :)
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:Patience and persistence are the keys to growing these wonderful plants well
I agree; it's very important to give the plants all the time they want or need, and allow them to grow at whatever rate they wish to grow. They aren't growing for our sake; all we can do is support them and give them the best conditions we can offer them. More often than not I have been surprised at the results despite very few expectations. :)
By Dubstep13
no no ull be ok in a week whats wrong with them
they will open up dude dont worry... for reals dude the sun dews are just as much fun and they will have dew on them in no time... and its fun to toss spiders and see them struggle in glue and the dorsea will curl up on it over night and suck him dry
By Shimizoki
I bet that with in a week it will start to get better... I'll keep putting up pictures of them as they grow. Status update and all that stuff. Thanks for all the knowledge.
By Shimizoki
Good news, Today I noticed that the Czech Giant is beginning to put up a new trap. That is every plant from the mystery box that is growing. This is good because it shows I'm not killing them just yet ;) Unfortunately they have not grown enough to where any pictures would actually look different.

Now I just need to wait for my Akai Ryus to put up some growth, one of them looks really sad, started with 3 traps and a baby forming... now however one trap has died, another is dying, and the new leaf has stopped growing part way. I hope it heals itself soon.

I am currently in the acclimation process of all my plants, they are being left in a shaded area all day. For just an hour or 2 each morning I put them into full sun and they don't look to be too messed up just yet. Its really hot so the soil seems to be drying out quickly... in time I will figure out the proper watering for my area.
By Shimizoki
Alright, its been 3 weeks since I acquired my first set of plants so I thought I would provide both an update for my old plants, and show off some of my new ones. I am open to any suggestions because I will admit that I am getting a hand of VFTs, but I now have a Nep, and some Pings to take care of.

Red Pinguicula
I read the basics for caring for Pings, any additional information would be helpful.

Fowering Drosera
I know that VFTs should have the flower cur off unless I want to collect the seeds. Do I need to do this for the Drosera? Will the combination of flowering and transplant shock be too much for it?

Nepenthes Wriglyana (Sp?)
Any additional care and information you can give me about these guys? I am in love with them... I really want my first Nep to thrive.

Thanks for taking a look.

EDIT::
My dad planted these for me when I was on vacation... So they werent perfect, but they will do. However the bags they came in were labled, the plants weren't So anyone who wants to take a crack at guessing what the plants are is more than welcome. I'll see if I can match them up to the bags. All the VFTs are seedgrown.
By Shimizoki
Today I planted my 25 Babies for $25 which I got from Matt. I actually got 44 plants, some of which were larger than babies, others would be confused as moss if I didn't know better. I just wanted to thank you because they look great. My Girlfriend helped me plant them. So THANKS MATT!!!

By bigred
Sundews dont have dew because they were touching whatever they were wrapped in. Give it a lot of light and about a week or less and you will see the dew.
By Eric
The red pinguicula is most definitely a planifolia. The others we will just have to wait until they flower.
Eric liked this
By Matt
Shimizoki wrote:Today I planted my 25 Babies for $25 which I got from Matt. I actually got 44 plants, some of which were larger than babies, others would be confused as moss if I didn't know better. I just wanted to thank you because they look great. My Girlfriend helped me plant them. So THANKS MATT!!!
You're very welcome! They look well potted and ready to grow for you :)
Matt liked this
By Steve_D
Shimizoki wrote:Today I planted my 25 Babies for $25 which I got from Matt.
They look very well planted and I'll bet the grow great. :D
Steve_D liked this
By dantt99
They look great! The Sundew stalk can be left. Flowerstalks don't drain SD's like they to to FT's :)
dantt99 liked this
Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!