FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By snapperhead51
Well what i do is on a cool day or winter or late autumn , well any time really ha ha , nahh just kidding , best done on a cool over cast days, take the plant out carefully , not disturbing the roots to much, get a new scalpel blade, and carefully cut the stem away from the main root section or ( if its a separate plant as you get some times rarely ease apart and replant it ) , then just do it as a cutting , split the last few mm of the lower stem in to 2 say 5 to 10 mm depending on the length of the cutting stem, , , place the split stem in rain water for 12 hours or so the then re-pot in to live sphag moss , can add root hormone if you like only after the 12 hr soak though , place in to small square pot, i use 50mmx 80to 100m long , make sure the sphag is very firm it the pot, very important , very tightly packed in , make a hole in the center of the potted sphag , with a suitable object approx the same size as the cutting stem and place the cutting in the spahg gently putting in about over half of the cutting stem in or more , be careful not to break the cut part of the cutting even making the hole larger if needed , ,once in place firm the sphag around the cutting to make sure it tightly packed in and water in keep sphag moist not over wet , , this pressure helps the formation of roots with pressure to the stem , , acts like it would when you place a cutting or pulling along side the edged of the pot, has the same affect , but quicker in the root production

and that is it
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By thelarge
Hey John,thanks for taking the time to help me out here.Iam going to practice just to make sure I dont do anything stupid.I have a Lowii x Camp. that has a couple growth points.(By the way a very cool hybrid).I do have a couple questions,should I keep in high humidity maybe bagged or just make sure its kept moist.And is it better to keep under artificial lighting or in greenhouse (winter in Oregon) while trying to root.
Thanks John
By snapperhead51
Hi Tom
yes have many lowii x campanulta true great plant have 2 clones a super red and a green , both great looking, yes may be a try on a plant of lesser value may be prudent , , yes it need high humidity true , i just put them in the G/h dont have to think about that , and they need good light and constant temps yes , suggest temp min 20c and lighting equivalent to spring sun may be 3 T8 lights about 9 to 10 in away keep air low constant too
hope that helps
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By Spooky1
Excellent, you made a nice choice there and from what I have been told the small mac's and hamata's will do ok if the surroundings aren't ideal but once they get larger will need the appropriate conditions to thrive. I just received my 1" macrophylla (pic in my photo album) last month and it looks about the same only smaller. Living in the Midwest U.S. I am taking advantage of the cold nights and moving it and the two hamata's to an unheated room and placing them into a five gallon aquarium with wet sphagnum in the bottom. They are getting 58º to 62º temps and 100% humidity there and when back in the rack, 72º to 80º and between 80% to 92% humidity.
"I will expand the subject of this string a bit so I can share what I am learning about habitats."
I just added a SUNPENTOWN SU-2020 ultrasonic humidifier that blows down the length of the rack and really does the job. I am adding the twin adjustable nozzle from a SUNPENTOWN SU-4010 so I can direct two streams for a more even coverage. I am also toying around with the thermoelectric portable coolers to see if they can provide the same nighttime conditions once warmer weather arrives. The first one I bought was the VECTOR VEC221 but it uses only radiant cooling which would barely keep a can of soda cool even if it were placed in cold. I just took delivery of a COLEMAN 3000000540 which uses metal transfer sinks and a blower to move the cold thru the chamber and I believe it should work for the five gallon set-up until the plants outgrow it. Several people have used the refrigerant assembly from small dorm fridges to cool larger chambers and I will probably go that route when the time comes.
By MurphysLaw
IMO, I would let the plant grow some and get accustom to your growing environment before hacking it up. You could lose the whole plant messing with it. It's still just a baby, and prone to shock.

But again, it's just my opinion..
By Spooky1
MurphysLaw is right, you spent some cash and waited for delivery and you can wait a few months before examining the root structure for possible separation. Since I started cooling mine down at night noticeable growth is occurring so mimicking the native habitat does indeed make a difference with even young seedlings. The newest hamata just wasn't doing anything until it went to the cool room at night and now the leaf and tendril have almost dropped to the ground and the new leaf is showing growth daily.
By thelarge
Well I just got out of surgery and I believe it was a success.I only took one of the growths.They all belonged to the same root system.I get the same thing with some of my tissue cultured plants that I have,side shoots.
Thanks murphysLaw and spooky1 I value you both for your opinion.The plant is very small but I thought long and hard about it and decided what the heck.I will let you know how it turned out in a month or so.Heres a pic of the very small cutting.
Attachments:
Sitting in rain water,for now.
Sitting in rain water,for now.
2012-12-16 14.38.02.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
thelarge, thelarge liked this
By snapperhead51
Tom its going to work , even if you get half right the cutting will take , I even leave the cuttings in the water for up to a week and there perfectly fine, , putting root hormone on after the soak is up to you , i dont , never needed it , but it will not hurt if you feel the need, good luck
John

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!