FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
Here's a photo of my new Big Mouth VFT that I bought from the FlyTrapStore ! The plant in the center is the one I purchased and needless to say I'm thrilled !
I was lucky enough to snag a larger mature plant and it arrived within a matter of days as usual ! The smaller Big Mouth VFT's surrounding it are "Large Mature"
Big Mouths that I purchased from another supplier online. Even though I ordered the other plants two weeks earlier, they arrived one day after my purchase
from FlyTrapStore.com and as you can see there is no comparison in the quality or health of the plants :mrgreen:

I was so thrilled that I just placed another order for a Pink Venus from FlyTrapStore ! And once again I was lucky enough to snag a mature specimen !
I was so excited that I actually couldn't sleep last night thinking about it ! :D
Attachments:
Mr Big ... He's getting a good home !
Mr Big ... He's getting a good home !
's (3).JPG (87.67 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
DTDream18 liked this
By Matt
Thanks for posting a photo of your new Big Mouth! It makes me happy inside to hear that other people are happy with the plants that Steve and I grow.

Looking at the photo, I think I can see a bit of the rhizome (bulb) sticking out of the peat just a little. I repotted about 60 Big Mouths recently and they're hard to get all the way down in the soil because of the way their leaves curl back on themselves. But you might want to try working the bulb down a bit more (you might be able to gently push it down further into the soil) or adding a little more peat around it.
By DTDream18
Thanks for the tip Matt ... I'll add some more peat around the rhizome. And thanks again for the great plant and the amazing service ! Can't wait till that Pink Venus gets here !!!!
By Steve_D
DTDream18 wrote:Can't wait till that Pink Venus gets here !!!!
Just remember that Pink Venus is a very slow growing plant, and a mature Pink Venus is likely to be smaller than a Big Mouth. :-) It'll be very healthy and ready to grow to its fullest potential though, and Pink Venus are very nice Venus Flytraps.
By DTDream18
I think I'm going to order a few more Big Mouths Steve. Pleasure doing business with you guys.
By DTDream18
Buy the way Matt and Steve ... How do those other Big Mouth plants in my photo look to you ? I'm a little worried about them since they look kind of pale and weak. I'm going to give them a lot of TLC and see if they get any healthier. Any suggestions ?
By Steve_D
DTDream18 wrote:I'm going to give them a lot of TLC and see if they get any healthier. Any suggestions ?
Just the same good care you give your other plants.

Another note about Pink Venus. Although it grows slowly and is likely to be smaller than other plants as it approaches maturity (typical flowering size), a Pink Venus, if given 2-3 more seasons of good growth, actually grows fairly large and usually produces quite a few divisions, forming a beautiful clump or colony. Pink Venus, though its traps are not among the largest of the Flytrap clones, is beautifully colorful and an outstanding clone. It's one of my favorites. (Of course, nearly all Venus Flytraps are "one of my favorites.") :)
By DTDream18
I just this minute ordered another young Big Mouth from FlyTrapStore.com. It's the service and beautiful healthy plants that make me a fan of you guys ! Pick me out a nice one guys !

I do own a couple small Pink Venus in my collection now Steve. One is growing in a large clump close to the ground. The other is growing more upright with not quite as many traps. They are a beautiful cultivar !
By Sway
Hey whats the easiet vft to grow?
By tc3driver
Sway wrote:Hey whats the easiet vft to grow?
They are all pretty easy... Good light, don't freeze, don't over heat, don't give tap water, don't use mineral rich soil, don't water too much, don't water too little. In terms of VFTs they all have relatively the same requirements.
By DTDream18
I've been acclimating these guys to full sun the last few days. I started out with 8 hours in partial shade and 3 hours in full sun. After 2 days I put them out in full sun for 7 hours today and they've really colored up to a great degree. Both the inside and outside outside of the traps. I can't beleive how fast the color has intensified ! Is this
unusual for the plants to color up so fast ?
By Matt
DTDream18 wrote:Is this unusual for the plants to color up so fast ?
Coloration usually takes a while to happen. "Tanning" (when parts of the flytrap that don't normally get much light get exposed to more intense light) can happen in a few days. I know that the Big Mouth I sent was very colorful when it left here; one of the most colorful in my greenhouse!
By HarrisAz
hw big is that trap?looks like a mousetrap
By x20villan02x
Matt is definately not joking about the pink being a sloowww growing plant. Mine has produced quite a bit of off shoots, and it is one of my favs.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!