FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By voxxxlll
Alright guys!i finally moved the plant, and i think the soil is good now.The previous soil i used had something white in it..and i dont know what kind of soil it was, then i changed the soil, and i used orchids soil and it was even worse.I thought i can use any type of soil, but after i read more about venus fly traps, today i went to a garden shop, and asked for peat moss, and i got a small bag.I didn`t find perlite, but when i bought some catctus plants, on the surface of the soil, there were something that looks like perlite, and i mixed some of them with the soil.i cutted the flowers, because they started to turn black.I noticed, that there were little flyes coming from the terrarium, and when i repotted the plant there were very few roots...about 2 little strings.Will there grow more roots if i repotted it?The soil is now about 30cm-35cm deep.
Here you can see the things that looks like perlite.
SDC10970.JPG
SDC10970.JPG (79.52 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
And here is the repotted plant
SDC10971.JPG
SDC10971.JPG (56.07 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
SDC10972.JPG
SDC10972.JPG (58.09 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
By Daniel_G
well your plants should develop more roots but are you shure you didnt accidently rip off some of the roots? the main thing to do now is to give them lots of light and hope they recover,lack of light and root shock is probably gonna slow down growth ALOT.

good luck :D
By carnivorous1123
If your plant is still alive i would reccomend, deeper pot (medium; peat moss and other things optional e.g. Perlite, spaghnum moss, silica sand) nice deep pot, you should not use still water as this still contajns too many minerals you should use rain water, distilled (available for purchase at drug stores,pharmacys ect) and RO (which you have to install to a tap and it filtrts minerals and chemicals out) you should keep soil damp not water logged during dormancy and not keep it enclosed in a jar. Give it as much direct light as possible. All the advice i can really give cheers
By voxxxlll
Before i used to water the plant very often and i saw little flies coming out from the soil.I changed the soil now and i don`t water it so often.At the moment i keep the plant on the windowsill, i would keep it outside, but there is about 2 or 3 Celsius grades, sometimes -4 and im not sure if it`s not too cold for them.I thought stil water is good for them.Can i use melted snow instead of water?Since 2 months ago, the plant started to grow new leaves, but the traps were getting black(like they were burned) and fell off before to open.The leaves were green, but the traps only were getting black.Maybe the soil was the reason, maybe i was giving it too much water, or maybe i didnt give it enough light(i moved the plant from the windowsill and i put it on the table, away from the window) and as far as i know the problem started after i moved the plant..Now i changed the soil , i moved it back on the windowsill and i wait to see if the problem is still there.Thank you!
Last edited by voxxxlll on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Matt
voxxxlll wrote:Can i use melted snow instead of water?
Yep, melted snow will work well too. As long as you pick snow that's not in contact with the ground, it should be pretty safe to use.

Also, try to avoid any yellow snow ;)
By carnivorous1123
My plants are outside at -5*c of a night and up too 3*c max in the day, also if you have snow they that should to a certain extent ptotect the plants from the cold(or so i have heard) but in NC where they are from it drops to below 0 in the winter so keep them temperatures in mind.
By voxxxlll
About 6 weeks ago all my traps were like in this picture
And i read here http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/venus ... t3142.html that this is because they froze.
After the leaves died, there were other leaves growing, but the traps didn`t open since then.Is this normal for dormancy?The leaves grow very slow , they stay closed and dye closed.
Also what is meant by direct light?I guess is to put the plat outside?If so is it alright to put the plant outside during the day and put it back inside during the night?I would leave it outside all the time but during the night is very cold.Im not sure if is alright to move the plant from about 10-12 celsius degress(in house) during the night to 2-3 celsius degrees(outside) during the day.
By Daniel_G
yep that sounds about right for dormancy ,leaves not opeing. as for your second question, if you move your plant that quickly it could be subject to shock! i'm not sure how much tho,if you do try to bring it outside try and acclimatise it :D
By carnivorous1123
I would leave that plant outsude all day and night as the sudden changes in temps could kill it i wouldnt reccOmend grow lights if any kind but if you are determined you should use bulbs over 20 watts 6500k (daylight bulb) but if i was you i'd get the lightfrom the great sun outdoors!
By voxxxlll
Unfortunately, only one flytrap survived over the winter.I hope i can save at least the last one.Until today i had 2 vfts, and i saw little white worms coming out from the soil.When i took the plants out of soil, one plant had no root, the worms were everywhere.I just took the one who still had roots and plant it in fresh soil.Thats second plant who was killed by the worms.Where did they come from?
By dantt99
Is your plant outdoors or indoors? If it is outdoors, there is a chance those pests found their way in themselves.

Did you try any common pesticides? Maybe if you put pictures up of one of the 'worms' we can help better identify it :).
By jht-union
voxxxlll wrote:Unfortunately, only one flytrap survived over the winter.I hope i can save at least the last one.Until today i had 2 vfts, and i saw little white worms coming out from the soil.When i took the plants out of soil, one plant had no root, the worms were everywhere.I just took the one who still had roots and plant it in fresh soil.Thats second plant who was killed by the worms.Where did they come from?
Sorry to hear that, did you reduce the water in winter?( 1 watering per 2 weeks), the plant probably rot, and the worms, i believe they are gnats, they just happened to sneak in the soil because they think is a good place to live, or they were already present when you bought the VFT's, i guess they are just eggs in the soil or in the plants, once the plant is rot, they take over the plant, and eat the roots, but anyone with more experience can come to help!!, good luck and hope your vft survives!

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!