FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Abeginner
Thank you. Ive only had them about 2-3 months and theyve had a huge burst of growth over the past two weeks.. they are In an open aquarium with 4ft, 4bulb, t5s, hanging above it. These plants are about 5 inches away. I have an ultrasonic humidifier to keep humidity good, and a small fan to keep air moving. I have a lot to learn about these guys and I'm happy so far with how well they have done!

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
What are your temps and humidity running? I have a similar setup except mines closed. I'm looking at a few different options to get my day temps down some.

I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a little. Thank you!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
By Abeginner
Right now with my ultrasonic humidifier the temp is 79.2 and humidity is 90 but when I turn that off my Temps can go in to the 90s and higher, so I keep the humidifier running on the lowest setting during the day then turn it off with the lights at night and keeps the temp more stable until I can get a different way figured out.

By Abeginner
At night when everything is off my temp drops into the 60s and humidity stays in 70 - 80 range... you are fine.. pick away!!

By Abeginner
Thank you very much. I love my plants, and to think, 2 years ago I could've killed an artificial flower:)

By boarderlib
I read somewhere that these guys didn't like anything above 80°F. Does your setup pretty much hover around eighty during the day then? I'm going to start growing Heli's when I finish kicking the Sarrs outside. That's the reason for so many questions. Thanks again!

By Abeginner
Yes it hangs out around 80.. sometimes it goes a up a few degrees but the media where the roots are tends to stay a lot cooler, I think that's because it's at the bottom on the tank

By Abeginner
I've read they can survive higher Temps as long as you keep the roots cooler and for some reason it is doing that in here .. it is probably the drafty window I have the tank next to but I'll find out once summer is in full effect and I may have to figure out some other means to keeping them cooled down.

By boarderlib
Thank you so much! It sounds like I should be okay once I get rid of a little more heat from my light, just to be safe.

By Matt
boarderlib wrote:I read somewhere that these guys didn't like anything above 80°F.
That's not true. For some species of Heliamphora, it may be true, but Heliamphora minor is extremely forgiving in terms of temperature and humidity. We've grown ours outside and in the non-temperature controlled garage where temperatures have reached over 100°F and humidity levels are in 20% or lower range and they didn't seem to decline or mind at all. They do better with moderate temperatures and higher humidity, but can certainly survive just fine with very hot temperatures for a short period of time.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!