FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Leo756
This was the healthiest CP I've ever found at Lowe's (it actually filled the whole inside of the death cube!), so I just couldn't stand the thought of leaving it there to die of neglect. It always amazes me how tightly they have the soil packed in those pots. They seriously expect it to be able to grow in that concrete?!
DSCF4808.jpg
DSCF4808.jpg (128.21 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
DSCF4809.jpg
DSCF4809.jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
DSCF4810.JPG
DSCF4810.JPG (113.01 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
DSCF4812.JPG
DSCF4812.JPG (145.62 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
DSCF4815.jpg
DSCF4815.jpg (103.23 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
DSCF4817.JPG
DSCF4817.JPG (103.18 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
By Dragoness
Looking good! I bought my first CP at Lowes about 4 years ago (similarly packaged in a CP coffin). I still have it, and moved it outside last summer, into a bog garden in my backyard. It's covered, and mulched for the winter because it is a mixed species bog, but I can't wait to lift the lid in April, and see how it went.
By bigpurp57
You will need to put that plant in a much bigger pot, Lowe's plants grow amazingly fast, this pic is of my first one I got just last year, it was much smaller than the one you have pictured and this plant is in a pot 10 inches deep and a foot across and it needs a bigger pot next year.

By bigpurp57
In addition that is a very nice rescue, you will have many more plants from that one, Congratulations on it.
By Leo756
bigpurp57 wrote:You will need to put that plant in a much bigger pot
Yeah, I know, that's what springtime is for! I've got another purp that I've had for over a year now, so I know how they grow. I'm really cramped for space under my grow lights right now though, so this is just emergency quarters to keep it alive through the winter dormancy. Once I can put stuff back outside in the spring, it'll get a bigger pot.
stubbingsj wrote:Where is your Lowes? I think the biggest that I have seen Sarracenias at my Lowes are between 2-3 inches, with only one pitcher.
I'm in northwestern Virginia, and I know the feeling! Most of my local Lowe's stores hardly ever get any CP's in stock at all, and whenever they do, they're usually pretty pathetic. Most of the time, all they ever have are those awful "kits" with "dormant" (bare-root) plants where you're basically paying $10 for a tiny packet of peat moss and a couple of dead sticks! That's why I couldn't pass this one up, especially since it was only $8 for such a big *live* plant!
By Dragoness
I like how the top of the coffin is labeled with everything but what is actually in the box - butterwort, tropical pitchers, and cobra lily - pretty much the carnivores I never ever see at the lowes here.
By Leo756
Dragoness wrote:I like how the top of the coffin is labeled with everything but what is actually in the box - butterwort, tropical pitchers, and cobra lily - pretty much the carnivores I never ever see at the lowes here.
Yeah, I know. There's a little sticker on the back of the box (visible in my 4th pic) that tells what it is, but the grower company must grow those other types of plants too; otherwise why would they be listed on all of their generic containers? So why don't they ever get any of *those* in stock? The only other thing I've ever seen at my local Lowe's was a few sundews one time, but of course that was a whole year or two *before* I ever really started getting into CP's. I think that was a different brand though so I guess that company went out of business. Now it's just always typical flytraps and purple Sarr's all the time. Haven't people already killed enough of those by now?!
By sbrooks
Great find, Leo!

Maybe Lowe's should start giving out those "Who Rescued Who?" bumper stickers with every death cube purchase. They could put a little flytrap icon on each sticker.

Every time that I have seen CPs at a store like Lowe's, they have been well hidden among the orchids and indoor tropicals. I always thought that if they were put out in a center aisle display, they would never have them sitting there for a few months, dying, until they finally mark them down to a dollar or less. I believe they would sell out relatively quickly. Probably with a higher profit margin than that discounted Duct Tape display.
By Leo756
sbrooks wrote:Every time that I have seen CPs at a store like Lowe's, they have been well hidden among the orchids and indoor tropicals.
I know. It's like they're *hiding* them on purpose!
sbrooks wrote:I always thought that if they were put out in a center aisle display, they would never have them sitting there for a few months, dying...
Yeah, they don't even put them out on display anywhere around Halloween, when you'd think there might be more interest than usual in some kind of "creepy" plant, even if it's just being used as a disposable decoration for Halloween. (Gasp! Perish the thought!)
By Leo756
lil hokie wrote:Be sure to post progress pictures!
Okay, but it'll be a while since everything is so dormant right now. I'm sure there won't be much growth or progress as long as it's staying between 40-50 degrees with only about eight hours of light all winter in my unheated basement!
By happiness
Dionae wrote:You wont be disappointed Leo. Some of my biggest and most vigorous growing purps and VFTs, surprisingly, have come from Lowes.
One of my biggest VFT's came from lowes as well. :D

.. My recent VFT rescue turned into a me killing it! I try not to let the soil mold but in the end I seem to kill more without mold (not watering) than with mold.. :(
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Supply the air fare and lodging and I will be ther[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!