FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sofarsogood
thank you so much :D
its help me alot indeed i dont know anything about flytrap caring now i hope the sand wont kill the flytrap instantly so i have time to change to another potting medium
thank you again :D
ok i found out some store have playsand and peat mosss but the perlite they only sale Miracle-Gro so can i skip the perlite?
By Steve_D
sofarsogood wrote:i found out some store have playsand
I hate to throw another obstacle in your way, but do not use "play sand" (typically used for children's sandboxes).

"Play sand" is almost always dredged river or beach sand, or from some other surface deposit of mixed types of rock, not silica sand which is composed almost entirely of just one kind of rock, quartz (silicon dioxide).

Although some people use play sand with some success, I have killed hundreds of Venus Flytraps (especially young, more quickly susceptible ones) by using "play sand" in a growing mix. :(

Do a search in the forum for "silica sand" to see descriptions, photos, uses it is typically sold for, and sources.
By sofarsogood
thank you so much Steve if you didnt throw this obstacle in my way i would kill my plants which even worse lol
oh yeah i found all the stuff i need
silica sand and perlite at Home depot
sphagnum peat moss at Lowes
the only problem now is money lol :lol:
Last edited by sofarsogood on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By pieguy452
If you are a resident of the United States, your local ace, home depot, or lowes should have silica sand :)
pieguy452 liked this
By sofarsogood
pieguy452 wrote:If you are a resident of the United States, your local ace, home depot, or lowes should have silica sand :)
thank you i just found it :D
By 95slvrZ28
Well since you have all of your potting materials ready to go, I would suggest removing your VFT from its current soil IMMEDIATELY! Put it in a bowl of distilled water, they can survive in just water for at least a week or so, and it will be much better for the plant in the long run. '

Good luck!
95slvrZ28 liked this
By sofarsogood
95slvrZ28 wrote:Well since you have all of your potting materials ready to go, I would suggest removing your VFT from its current soil IMMEDIATELY! Put it in a bowl of distilled water, they can survive in just water for at least a week or so, and it will be much better for the plant in the long run. '

Good luck!
im doing it right now.... for now i dont have the potting medium but the moss that the store give me would keep the plants live fine right?:D
By sofarsogood
95slvrZ28 wrote:Yes, the moss that was provided should be fine for a temporary medium until you get the money around.
i get rid of the sand now there is a little sand remains in the moss...it cannot kill the plants right? my plants have some burn in the leaf is it because of the sun or because it is dying? :?:
By Steve_D
sofarsogood wrote:my plants have some burn in the leaf is it because of the sun or because it is dying?
It is normal for a few leaves to blacken and die when a Venus Flytrap is uprooted and repotted, especially if there is some additional stress in between (like shipping or a long delay in repotting, or several repottings in succession). But don't worry about that. It is also possible to blacken because of sunburn or mineral burn, but that is probably less likely in the case of your plant, and at this time rather than worry about that, just soak the plant is pure distilled water (or rain water or water from reverse osmosis with nothing added to it) until you can plant it in a good growing medium.

Then just give it good care and be patient. Often Venus Flytraps will look worse for a few weeks before they begin to grow well again, so don't worry about that. :)
Steve_D liked this
By sofarsogood
Steve_D wrote:
sofarsogood wrote:my plants have some burn in the leaf is it because of the sun or because it is dying?
It is normal for a few leaves to blacken and die when a Venus Flytrap is uprooted and repotted, especially if there is some additional stress in between (like shipping or a long delay in repotting, or several repottings in succession). But don't worry about that. It is also possible to blacken because of sunburn or mineral burn, but that is probably less likely in the case of your plant, and at this time rather than worry about that, just soak the plant is pure distilled water (or rain water or water from reverse osmosis with nothing added to it) until you can plant it in a good growing medium.

Then just give it good care and be patient. Often Venus Flytraps will look worse for a few weeks before they begin to grow well again, so don't worry about that. :)
thank you i just order some of flytrapcare's growing medium so there is nothing much to worry if my plant doesnt get worse hope so :D
By sofarsogood
sofarsogood wrote:
Steve_D wrote:

thank you i just order some of flytrapcare's growing medium so there is nothing much to worry if my plant doesnt get worse hope so :D oh how can i increase humidity? can i use plastic bag and how? :D

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!