FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By cvlover
Welcome to TC club !!! Good luck with first try :) .
jht-union wrote: ....
I used my tank as my working area, the plastic was to protect even more from particles. Something i might do next time close the tank or aquarium completely with plastic, and make just two holes for the hands, and i'm able to keep everything more sterile!

You may use seal tank to improve sterilization.
Glovebox-1.jpg
Glovebox-1.jpg (486.91 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
Glovebox-2.jpg
Glovebox-2.jpg (568.71 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
cvlover, cvlover liked this
By jht-union
cvlover wrote:Welcome to TC club !!! Good luck with first try .
Thanks! :)
cvlover wrote:You may use seal tank to improve sterilization.
That's exactly what i was thinking in doing, closing with plastic, and the holes just like that, but i need first to find a method, meaning something of my own that i will do step by step because i want to have the necessary things inside and outside in that way i won't have to struggle with opening the tank again if i forget something.

But that's exactly what i was thinking in doing thanks for the pictures, and that's exactly the same tank i'm using! :)

Thank you!
By ReefPlant
Looking Good JHT! It is dizzying, not only the fumes but the amount of things to keep track of but with it!
Looks like your more and off to a great start! Good Luck!
By jht-union
ReefPlant wrote:Looking Good JHT! It is dizzying, not only the fumes but the amount of things to keep track of but with it!
Looks like your more and off to a great start! Good Luck!
Thank you, so far they don't show any signs of contamination, i guess the time to find out will be in about 2 weeks!
By jht-union
I just wanted to make sure i'm keeping my cultures at the right temp and how i'm keeping them.

Temperature: 70F-85F, temperature is normally at around 80F, and the lowest temps are around 71.5F, with the lowest being: 71.2. The highest temps so far: 85.6F. The normal temperature is from: 77-81F, is that temperature good?

The vessels are inside the aquarium, and are inside another transparent smaller container inside the aquarium which is sealed completely. I know for sure this is right! :)

And the other thing, the lights of the aquarium, i believe is a 5600k, it says natural daylight in the light. I leave the light or the flouresent light all the time ON, with a few exceptions so far. But i will continue to leave it on, is this ok??????

So far appears no contamination, i haven't seen that cloud yet that normally appears in the media, everything is pretty clear and nicely! :)
Thank you for your help! :)
By stry67
As has been said numerous times in numerous posts, you need 6500k light and a timer with a on cycle of 16 hours and off for 8. Search box is your friend, not the post button.
By jht-union
Update:

2 vessels with contamination :(
What should i do now to clean them, do i just throw the media out and the explant, or do i take the explant, and sterilize media to re-used it, what should i do if i have contamination?

Also, the rest of the explants look fine, they are just a bit dark, but not with contamination, what does this means?

Seeds haven't germinated, i guess i have to wait more days.

I think the reason for the contamination in those two vessels is due to the water, when i was taking the explants with the forcepts some water came in the vessels, next time i will be sure to avoid more drops of water inside the vessel.

Other than that, it's going pretty well for the moment(i think)! :)
By Matt
jht-union wrote:What should i do now to clean them, do i just throw the media out and the explant, or do i take the explant, and sterilize media to re-used it, what should i do if i have contamination?
I usually just run everything down the drain. You definitely shouldn't try to reuse the media and most TCers recommend running contaminated cultures through the pressure cooker or autoclave again to avoid spreading the contamination.
Matt liked this
By jht-union
Matt wrote:I usually just run everything down the drain. You definitely shouldn't try to reuse the media and most TCers recommend running contaminated cultures through the pressure cooker or autoclave again to avoid spreading the contamination.
Ok, sounds good, i will throw everything out, i still have lots of media to use and vessels, so is all good! :)

Thanks!
By jht-union
Another update for today July 22, 2011(yup, adding more cultures to the collection! ):

So far no more contamination from the first batch of cultures, and nor from the second batch! :D

No results yet from the first batch, and of course no result either from the second batch. :(

Enjoy the two pics! :)
By jht-union
NelsonR wrote:Nice, hey I think you shouldnt cover the upper part of the lid, that is for gas exchange, but i am not sure
Hummm, just making a guess that i feel i'm at least 90% sure that everything should stay close because if something stays open that's an excellent path for contamination, micro-organisms take advantage of this, that's why i think it should stay completely close, but like you i'm new, so not sure. :)
By jht-union
NelsonR wrote:I meant the plastic on top of the lids, the hole purpose of those lids its so tere could be air exchange, but i am still not sure.
Oh, i see, i'm not contradicting you at all( i'm new, so i'm doing everything based on what i have seen)

I have seen some culture containers with wrapping paper around, i'm guessing this is done when you don't have the right equipment, such as an incubator where you can place them safe from micro-organism.
But us, or at least me, doing this at home and leaving it just with the cap means a path for micro-organisms to enter easily.

But, anyone feels like helping out a little and explaning more! :)
Thanks!
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!