FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By kcbugs
Flower just opened up yesterday. I am really digging my orchids!

And another. Just bloomed on Saturday!! (10-04-14)

Some photos of the upgraded bedroom

:D
Last edited by kcbugs on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
kcbugs liked this
By Matt
Nice! That's a great looking plant!

I really got into orchids for a bit, but they were fairly quickly pushed out to make room for more flytraps.

Hopefully someday I'll return to growing them when I have more time and space.
Matt liked this
By kcbugs
Thanks Matt. I'm really getting into all things plant. Epiphytes like orchids, bromeliads, and tillandsias are as fascinating to me as the carnivores.

I'm having difficulty with space for sure. I'm planning a makeover of a spare bedroom for the addition of some shelving and artificial lights. That'll help greatly with my orchids, tillandsias, and neps as well.

Turns out, I have a world class orchid grower just 10 minutes away, so I've been visiting him as much as possible to learn as much as I can. He's a great guy and very gracious to share his experience and knowledge. He grows a lot more than orchids. He has a lot of live sphagnum, which I think I'll get a batch of tomorrow to try my hands at.

This is the greatest hobby (addiction)!
By Cory
Nice vinicolor.

Space will always be an issue lol
Cory liked this
By Matt
kcbugs wrote:Epiphytes like orchids, bromeliads, and tillandsias are as fascinating to me as the carnivores.
Me too! I totally get that.
kcbugs wrote:I'm having difficulty with space for sure. I'm planning a makeover of a spare bedroom for the addition of some shelving and artificial lights. That'll help greatly with my orchids, tillandsias, and neps as well.
That's great. I wish we had a larger space where we live. Flytraps grow in pretty much every room of our small house. Real estate is ridiculously expensive here in Ashland, where we chose to live, so we couldn't afford much in terms of a large house. Thank goodness we have a fairly large garage to absorb the brunt of FlytrapStore during the winter months when growing outdoors isn't really an option!
kcbugs wrote:Turns out, I have a world class orchid grower just 10 minutes away, so I've been visiting him as much as possible to learn as much as I can. He's a great guy and very gracious to share his experience and knowledge.
That's really neat! I haven't met anyone in person who was really into orchids. If I had, I might have taken a more long-term interest in them and sacrificed some VFT room.
By SFLguy
kcbugs wrote:Thanks Matt. I'm really getting into all things plant. Epiphytes like orchids, bromeliads, and tillandsias are as fascinating to me as the carnivores.

I'm having difficulty with space for sure. I'm planning a makeover of a spare bedroom for the addition of some shelving and artificial lights. That'll help greatly with my orchids, tillandsias, and neps as well.

Turns out, I have a world class orchid grower just 10 minutes away, so I've been visiting him as much as possible to learn as much as I can. He's a great guy and very gracious to share his experience and knowledge. He grows a lot more than orchids. He has a lot of live sphagnum, which I think I'll get a batch of tomorrow to try my hands at.

This is the greatest hobby (addiction)!
Have you thought of trying to grow catopsis? It's a bromeliad and a carnivore! :D
SFLguy liked this
By kcbugs
Matt wrote:That's really neat! I haven't met anyone in person who was really into orchids. If I had, I might have taken a more long-term interest in them and sacrificed some VFT room.

It's pretty nice visiting his place. Instead of a greenhouse, he keeps his orchids in caves. Lots of HPS and LED lighting. I'll post a few pics later...
By kcbugs
SFLguy wrote:Have you thought of trying to grow catopsis? It's a bromeliad and a carnivore! :D

Yes I have. When I saw them on SNW's "Grow Carnivorous Plants" dvd's, I was intrigued. I had never heard of them before. I will be adding a few to my collection at some point!!
By SFLguy
Nice! Keep us updated with that for sure :P
By Cory
Does the place you got that vinicolor ship?

I need one of those but I haven't been able to find one that was dark enough to suit me. Most around here contain to much white
By kcbugs
Cory wrote:Does the place you got that vinicolor ship?

I need one of those but I haven't been able to find one that was dark enough to suit me. Most around here contain to much white
I'll ask him tonight. Going to go get a few more goodies from him.
By kcbugs
Unfortunately, Cory, he doesn't ship plants...

I took some photos. Let's get the pretty stuff out of the way!

And now a shot of one of several rooms in the cave:

This place is really neat!!
kcbugs, kcbugs liked this

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!