FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By DDavoren
Hey :)

I just brought this one home today, I have decided to call it Hubert, I like to name things lol!

What kind of FT is this?

By Matt
Congrats on your first carnivorous plant!
DDavoren wrote:What kind of FT is this?
That's a Venus fly trap :)

I'm guessing you're asking what clone or cultivar it is? If it wasn't labeled as one, then it shouldn't be classified as any particular clone. It's what is commonly referred to as a "typical" Venus fly trap.
By DDavoren
Cool, I already love it! one question tho, is it normal for some traps to bunch together and fall over? one side has 4 basically touching each other, the other side having 2, the rest of them are just standing up in the middle, and I was reading that in order to make the traps as big as possible, that i should cut the flower stalk as soon as I see it, does that mean the stem with the traps grow from? and if that is the case, about how many traps would i want to have all the time, so i can cut the rest?
By Matt
DDavoren wrote:is it normal for some traps to bunch together and fall over?
That happens from time to time. Depending on the clone, some of the leaves can be tall and then and more prone to falling over. Also, lack of light will cause spindly weak growth that will fall over easier.
DDavoren wrote:I was reading that in order to make the traps as big as possible, that i should cut the flower stalk as soon as I see it, does that mean the stem with the traps grow from?
I don't follow your question here. A flower stalk is a long, tall stalk that adult flytraps grow in the spring time. It's fairly obviously different from leaves and traps.
DDavoren wrote:if that is the case, about how many traps would i want to have all the time, so i can cut the rest?
You should never cut green traps off of the plant (though you can cut them off once they turn brown or black), only the flower stalk.
By DDavoren
Matt wrote: That happens from time to time. Depending on the clone, some of the leaves can be tall and then and more prone to falling over. Also, lack of light will cause spindly weak growth that will fall over easier.
OK cool, well im gonna have it by my window (which gets excellent sunlight from bout 1pm - sunset)
Matt wrote: I don't follow your question here. A flower stalk is a long, tall stalk that adult flytraps grow in the spring time. It's fairly obviously different from leaves and traps.
awesome, i must just have been confused because it does not appear my FT has any flower stalks at this time, but i thought they always had them, again a rookie error!
Matt wrote: You should never cut green traps off of the plant (though you can cut them off once they turn brown or black), only the flower stalk.
sounds good!

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!