FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By UsagiGreenPaw
Hello!
This is my first pinguicula and I need to make sure it's not going downhill and fast.

I've had this plant for about 2 weeks. It's looking less and less happy. I gently lifted it up earlier and didnt see rot or bugs of any kind, but if anyone is certain this is the work of bugs, I'll recheck. It does have some root growth since I first recieved it.

From my reading, I believe the dark green colors indicates lack of light? It's under a T5 right now about ...12? Inches away. It's on for about 15 hours per day. It hasnt gained any purple coloring at all.

Theres very little oil being produced as well. The area stays about 47-53% humidity. For watering I've been sitting the plastic container in a glass food storage container with water. I DID top water it recently instead of the usual tray. Perhaps this is an issue? It seems to mostly be the leaves touching the substrate. There's a translucent spot. A little yellow spotting on another leaf. I'm not sure the new growth looks all that spectacular either, though the flower is lovely.

Thank you! If that picture isnt clear enough I'll happily take more. My guess is not enough light and not enough drying time?
Attachments:
20171005_111412.jpg
20171005_111412.jpg (869.99 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
By Hungry Plants
I'm new to pings my self. In my understanding you want to lower the light so it more like 8 inches off the plant and put it in a tray of water with about an inch and a half of water. You let it get a little dryer when it goes to succulent phase. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.
Hungry Plants liked this
By UsagiGreenPaw
Benurmanii wrote:It looks like it is struggling to obtain water. Are it's roots in the soil?
They....seem to be? It was fluffy when I planted it and I just kinda set it there and gently pressed. It would floof up a bit. Admittedly I'm uncertain and those roots arent exactly sturdy and deep reaching, though it has grown more since I recieved it.
Should I gently pull it out and try making a little soil mound?
By UsagiGreenPaw
jeff wrote:Bonjour

what substrat?

many Mexican come in dormancy, hold the substrate slightly wet or even dry always with a good light.

5°c mini for the dormancy .

jeff
Bonjour!
It's in a gritty mineral mix from the place I purchased it from. I dont see the specific elements used listed.
By nimbulan
Looks like it could use more light to me, and I'm going to second Ben that it looks like it's not getting enough water. It may go dormant as a result and you'll have to keep it drier if it does until it resumes normal growth again.
nimbulan liked this
By UsagiGreenPaw
nimbulan wrote:Looks like it could use more light to me, and I'm going to second Ben that it looks like it's not getting enough water. It may go dormant as a result and you'll have to keep it drier if it does until it resumes normal growth again.
More light. *nods* So I was 1/2 correct. XD
I'll keep my eye out for the succulent style leaves to start coming in.
By Benurmanii
The new leaves coming out of the plant are still in summer phase so it needs to be kept watered still. P. cyclosecta can be kept pretty wet, so I'd water it a bit more than you are currently doing. Don't worry about too watering either, there is a lot of myths about topwatering pings. I've found only a few Mexican Pings do not lime water on their leaves or to be kept wet while in summer phase, and cyclosecta is not one of these few.
Benurmanii liked this
By UsagiGreenPaw
Benurmanii wrote:The new leaves coming out of the plant are still in summer phase so it needs to be kept watered still. P. cyclosecta can be kept pretty wet, so I'd water it a bit more than you are currently doing. Don't worry about too watering either, there is a lot of myths about topwatering pings. I've found only a few Mexican Pings do not lime water on their leaves or to be kept wet while in summer phase, and cyclosecta is not one of these few.
Ok. So I'll move it up a bit under the T5 and give it a bit more top water now and then. I think it will perk up.
I'm glad I asked since I was guessing I needed to dry it out more!
By hackerberry
I would suggest covering the plant for now with a transparent dome so it gets more humidity. It is struggling and a bit stressed from repotting. I don't see any dews which indicates that it is losing water faster than it can take it in. The flower is not helping either. I would also suggest cutting the flower stalk.

cheers.
hackerberry liked this
By evenwind
UsagiGreenPaw wrote: They....seem to be? It was fluffy when I planted it and I just kinda set it there and gently pressed. It would floof up a bit. Admittedly I'm uncertain and those roots arent exactly sturdy and deep reaching, though it has grown more since I recieved it.
You certainly have to have the roots touching the medium. Making a mound is one way to be sure. (Another is to trim the leaves that are keeping the roots suspended - which would certainly add stress.)
evenwind liked this
By UsagiGreenPaw
Ok. Yeah. That makes sense, hackerberry. It seems it wants some moisture. I know not to treat all carniverous plants the same, but I wouldnt have made the mental leap to upping the humidity since my experience with droseras found the humdity didnt really do anything for them. More light made the big sticky globs. :)

Totally dont mind pampering it a bit. Whenever I see plants in domes for sale, they are usually rotted. Is it suggested to pop open the dome twice a day or so for air or...? Also, is there a range I'm shooting for? 60% humdity?
Poor flower though. It is adorable. *snip snip*
Last edited by UsagiGreenPaw on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By UsagiGreenPaw
evenwind wrote:
UsagiGreenPaw wrote: They....seem to be? It was fluffy when I planted it and I just kinda set it there and gently pressed. It would floof up a bit. Admittedly I'm uncertain and those roots arent exactly sturdy and deep reaching, though it has grown more since I recieved it.
You certainly have to have the roots touching the medium. Making a mound is one way to be sure. (Another is to trim the leaves that are keeping the roots suspended - which would certainly add stress.)
I peeked under the leaves very carefully and I can see a white root and the very tip looks like it's in the soil, so I'm going to make a mound. No more stress for this one. Thank you for chiming in.
By nimbulan
I wouldn't worry about humidity or the flower stalk, just make sure it's getting enough water and light. I just got one of these a couple weeks ago with no roots at all and stuck it in a pot, and it's grown quite a substantial root system already and is developing some nice color.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!