FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hayden
Is this good or bad? I dont care if I dont get seeds, mostly about a strong growth of plant. Will it harm it like flowers harm a flytrap?
By Hayden
Ill let one of them grow, and try and get some seeds! It does seem a shame to let them go to waste. Ive got loads of flowers coming, so ill chop off the lesser grown ones. Would it be ok if I germinate them as soon as they fall? Ill research into the pollinating etc.

Doomsday, are you sure this would work? It sounds a much better idea!
By kittyklaws
:D Congrats! Drosera capensis flowers self-pollinate so don't worry about pollinating them, you're likely to get alot of viable seed anyway. Yea, as soon as they're ripe, they'll start falling out of the blackened seedpods on their own and start germinating.
If you snip the stalk and plant it in moist media, you can propagate it vegetatively, just like you would with a flytrap flowerstalk. Often times this may work better than leaf pullings or root cuttings, as for some reason the little plantlets seem to mature faster. Good luck! :)
Last edited by kittyklaws on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kittyklaws liked this
By Hayden
Brilliant help, thankyou! Ill keep one for the seeds just to help me learn to do them. The rest will be stuck in the soil, does this needs to be in the sundews soil? Or can I do it seperate? How much water will it need?

Sorry for all the questions. But im really grateful.
By kittyklaws
For snipping the flowerstalk and planting it, it doesn't matter if you stick it in a different pot or even in distilled water for that matter (this is another easy and successful method you can use to vegetatively propagate sundews from the flower stalk), as long as they are subject to the right conditions.
Keep the media just moist not wet, as with growing regualr CPs. If too wet, this could promote rot, mold, or fungus.However, I'd recommend the water method more, it's the one that I've tried successfully before. Good luck! :D
Last edited by kittyklaws on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Hayden
Ok, thanks for the tips. It seems like my mum and dad wont give me the right water for them now. I have been using bad water for weeks. I will try and see if it stays alive to polinate and give the seeds to someone that deserves them
By Doomsday
I would give them nice little homes ;)

About the water, you can collect rainwater, or if you are patient enough, boil some water and catch the evaporation with a lid or something so it slides into a cup.
By kittyklaws
Doomsday wrote: About the water, you can collect rainwater, or if you are patient enough, boil some water and catch the evaporation with a lid or something so it slides into a cup.
You must be referring to distillation :)
Umm if you want, fish30, you can try that....it might be hard though, but in the chemistry lab, we use this method:
Boil the water in a not-too-large container that you can put a lid on (like a flask with a tube stopper) Stick a tube (to guid the vapor and condense it as it cools) through the only opening and put the other end of the tube pointing downward into a second container filled with ice to further condense the vapor droplets into pure water. We used testubes and beakers...it's probably a more difficult process to perform on a large scale at home.
By Doomsday
kittyklaws wrote:
Doomsday wrote: About the water, you can collect rainwater, or if you are patient enough, boil some water and catch the evaporation with a lid or something so it slides into a cup.
You must be referring to distillation :)
Umm if you want, fish30, you can try that....it might be hard though, but in the chemistry lab, we use this method:
Boil the water in a not-too-large container that you can put a lid on (like a flask with a tube stopper) Stick a tube (to guid the vapor and condense it as it cools) through the only opening and put the other end of the tube pointing downward into a second container filled with ice to further condense the vapor droplets into pure water. We used testubes and beakers...it's probably a more difficult process to perform on a large scale at home.

Yup. If you dont have access o those materials, you can use a frying pan to speed up the boiling and increase the amount of evaporation. Boil it with a lid on until it is, well boiling lol, and then get a cup nearby. Pour the condensation on the lid into the cup. If you do this numerous times you will have some distilled water, but it is tedious...... Collecting a large amount of rainwater is probably your best bet. If you have any plastic tupperware containers for storage, or even a small fish tank, they work really well for collecting rain. If you do use this method, you can cover the containers and save the water for use until the next rainfall.
By Hayden
Ive got 3 big tubs outside, all I need is rain! I have a massive fear of fire, so I doubt boiling water is my type of thing =P
By Doomsday
great make sure you clean the tubs now so they dont have dirt in them when it rains. Also, i would keep them covered except for when its actually raining for the same reason.. You dont want dead bugs, etc growing fungi in there
Doomsday liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!