FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By owlfeathers
My Akai Ryu (which I think is from AG3) was dark red with only a few green edges here and there when I got it. I've been keeping it in a bright, sunny spot on my back porch. However, new growth from the plant has been very green. (A baby division next to is fully red.)

Is this just a seasonal/weather thing? It's been quite rainy and overcast for the last month or so, but it still seems... VERY green to me, considering it sits outside in direct sunlight whenever it's not raining.
Attachments:
IMG_20210714_094428~2.jpg
IMG_20210714_094428~2.jpg (472.21 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
By Panman
How many hours of direct sun does it get? Mine gets full sun from 9am through 2pm and still has a good bit of green on it.
Supercazzola liked this
By owlfeathers
Panman wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:39 pm How many hours of direct sun does it get? Mine gets full sun from 9am through 2pm and still has a good bit of green on it.
I would assume mine gets a bit more than that. Maybe 8-9am to 4pm. But the petioles are a little flared, so maybe it doesn't get as much sunlight as I think. There have also been several days over the past few weeks when I've had to put my plants under cover to get them out of the pouring rain.
elaineo wrote:Mine gets dappled shade from 7am-7pm and it is dark purple. We have zero clouds so the sunlight is pretty intense.
I am really jealous :cry:
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!