FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
traps were seeking light
traps were seeking light
IMG_6023.JPG (171.51 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
Ok I'm sure my vfts are doing well because they live here naturally because otherwise it's just dumb luck that they are still alive. :lol:

I checked out vfts months ago on the internet and apparently there are fakes out there and I hate to be tricked. So I read a lot and started looking around at local retailers and found really bad looking products. Some were in smaller than egg size containers, w/1 or 2 leaves, for $5.99. I even looked for some that might have been left from last year but nothing.

I found a few that were seeds plus sphagnum moss and came in a terrarium that seemed like a nice product. I also just saw a ok product that is in a plastic terrarium and there are different types of cps. A nepenes, vfts, pitcher plant.

OK so I got lucky and found a nice product at a local nursery that he had leftover from last year. I knew I had a deal because these were already full-grown plants - several years old.(with babies)

I have had them since early May or 2 months. They have grown like mad with lots of rain showers

So anyway, that said, I have these little guys and gals outside in as much sun as they can handle right now.
I just realized from another thread that mine were not getting enough sun, hence the trap is wide open. I thought they were getting a lot of sun but not really direct light so I changed that today. I know some will get burned but trust yall they will recover. So in the pic, the traps are wide open in an odd way. After leaving in full sun for just an hour, they closed up to normal or close to normal. It was also about 95f with 85% humidity. I will get new pics with the traps looking normal.

For the most part, they have received only rain water. mostly rain showers but I collect some. They have dried out a few times but recovered ok(was in the shade). I need to get a tray that holds water and let them sit in it. I've moved them where they will get more direct sun - it's super hot now and 80-100% humidity. I've never misted them. I was going to repot them but guess I will wait til they finish flowering and making seeds.

I think I will look for a filtered mesh covering so they don't get burnt. idk I tried a sheet and it seemed weird.

And go on a laugh, I'm repurposing a babie crib to roll around my cps so I can roll them in and out and it makes a mini green house. Go on and laugh now but wait til you see it. 8-)

So the only other thing I tried was placing some leftover watermelon on the deck around the vft and flies gathered and Venus feasted. :lol: After several days, some traps have died and others reopened with dried flies :lol: I'd trim the leaves but have read that they like the nutrients from leaves so leave them.

I
Attachments:
thunderstorms day and night
thunderstorms day and night
IMG_6007.JPG (106.7 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
Strike a pose  - her belly is full
Strike a pose - her belly is full
IMG_6003.JPG (140.64 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
flower stem forming
flower stem forming
IMG_6011.JPG (108.98 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
By KategoricalKarnivore
What do you mean by using the baby crib to roll them in and out? Are you taking your plants in and out of your house daily?
By Fly Trap Hunter
Thanks Kate. no. they are outside all the time. It gets well below 40F here in the Winter at times and I'd have to bring them inside. Therefore, I thought I'd set up a rolling terrarium/green house and set up grow lights for inside for winter. I'm very creative with what I have. I wish I had a green house but that's not an option. All I can figure is a bog must put out it's own heat to keep these guys from freezing in winter. I'm open to ideas
By boarderlib
I subjected my fly traps to freezing temps on more than one occasion, they're fine. As long as they are dormant they'll take it with a grain of salt. My Megatraps was a block of ice over the winter and it came out like it never got frozen solid. I put it too close to the freezer section in the mini fridge.

They were also subjected to a late frost and a late freeze this year due to mother nature being completely bipolar up here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
Hey, I'm good with my vfts being typicals. They are a nice hardy typical. I have a order of vfts otw from the flytrapstore now anyway. But these little guys and gals are doing great. The only thing I changed was the amount of full sunlight they received. I didn't realize that they were only getting dappled light and only an hour of that. I've increased the light to about 5 hours of mostly midday sun: 11am to 4pm. I wanted to add more light because its blooming and the traps are were wide open. It seems to me that they do this when the bloom to get more light, even if they are getting a lot of light. I have a lot of blooms on the way I hope. I wouldn't have normally jumped so quickly to 5 hours from just dappled but it has been partly cloudy and rainy so I let it go as long as possible. I'm guessing but seems some flower stems grew more than an inch in a week. Some not so much. The sun is burning some of the old leaves but the plant is happy and I trust yall on this. Boarderlib I'm beginning to believe the vft is much tougher than I ever thought. And I'm learning dormancy techniques I didn't know existed.
a lot of stems full of buds
a lot of stems full of buds
055.JPG (739.27 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
seeking light
seeking light
039.JPG (687.66 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
So it has only been a month since I started this thread. Why does it seem like such a long time? Seems like 4 months. :lol: Here is a pic. It has blown up. I'm not sure if it is a Rocket farms typical or not but likely it is. It says grown in Florida though. If its a RFT, the seeds are not viable anyway, so I will likely cut the flower stems off. (I have read the seeds are not viable on these threads. idk yet. )
vft2
vft2
IMG_6224.JPG (867.13 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
ft1
ft1
IMG_6222.JPG (787.19 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
By whatsgrowingon
Hey, your traps look great and really healty! Don't be afraid to let them get lots of direct hot sun. They love it and will eat it up as long as they have access to water. Some traps may die off but all the new ones will be tolerant of the new conditions.
By Fly Trap Hunter
small plant
small plant
IMG_6486.JPG (717.59 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
pretty red traps
pretty red traps
IMG_6480.JPG (816.66 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
2 prettiest colors
2 prettiest colors
IMG_6487.JPG (825.87 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
There are a couple plants in there that have slightly cupped traps and a nice red color. I'm going to try to separate these from the rest of the typicals.
By Fly Trap Hunter
orig1vsrepot
orig1vsrepot
IMG_6927.JPG (639.98 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
orig vs large repot
orig vs large repot
IMG_6926.JPG (656.95 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
I didn't remove the moss from the small pot of traps. I just stuck the whole ball in new nzlfspm. I soaked the ball and loosened up the roots that were wrapped at the bottom of the small pot. btw. its still Summer here with daytime temps in the 80s F

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!