FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By parker679
Has any one here noticed that VFT's grown in 100% LFS tend to clump more?

It could just be me but I swear when I look at my plants that are in LFS they seem to look like they're dividing like crazy. I'll have to take some pictures tomorrow to show my examples.

I believe Matt has started using pure LFS for planting VFT's, I wonder if he has noticed anything similar. Matt, if you read this I'd love your input if any.

And it may be that they're not clumping per se but just growing more vigorously. Either way it's a clear difference I've noticed between identical cultivars planted at the same time but in different media.
parker679 liked this
By Sander
If its the acidity, ill be adding acid to my water to lower the ph :D

And if it was because of the lesser density, would it grow better in 80% perlite?

Might be able to do with both, more airation, less dense, and less prone to mould/root rot
By parker679
I have no clue why it may be. And it's certainly possible that it's just coincidence, maybe the growing conditions were varied enough that the plant in the LFS grew better.

I want to stress that this post isn't me saying 100% LFS is the better choice for planting, because I do still prefer peat/sand mixes over 100% LFS but for reasons other than one being universally better.

Here are the pictures of my examples....

This is two baby plants bank in April of 2012. You can see that one is larger and that's the one I moved to LFS, but that alone is not enough to account for the differences. It would be one thing if one plant were just larger than the other in trap size but this is one dividing significantly more.

First is the one I left in the planter and second is the one I moved to 100% LFS.

There are my Maroon Monsters. I got 4, 2 big and 2 small. I potted the big ones together in 50/50 peat/sand and the 2 smaller ones in 100% LFS. You can see that while the smaller plants are still obviously small, there are a significantly more traps.

And finally, a bonus shot of an incomplete dual trap that was still able to catch and digest a fly.

By Matt
parker679 wrote:Has any one here noticed that VFT's grown in 100% LFS tend to clump more?
No, I haven't noticed flytraps clumping or dividing more when growing in long fiber sphagnum than in peat.
parker679 wrote:I believe Matt has started using pure LFS for planting VFT's, I wonder if he has noticed anything similar. Matt, if you read this I'd love your input if any.
Sorry, just really read this thread now.
parker679 wrote:nd it may be that they're not clumping per se but just growing more vigorously. Either way it's a clear difference I've noticed between identical cultivars planted at the same time but in different media.
We've noticed the same in our conditions. The plants in LFS seem to grow more vigorously, especially at smaller sizes. I think as the plants get larger, the difference in growth rate between peat-based mixes and LFS is not as substantial, but we haven't been growing with LFS long enough to say for certain.
By parker679
Matt wrote: We've noticed the same in our conditions. The plants in LFS seem to grow more vigorously, especially at smaller sizes. I think as the plants get larger, the difference in growth rate between peat-based mixes and LFS is not as substantial, but we haven't been growing with LFS long enough to say for certain.
This could very well be it. I don't usually opt for 100% LFS, it's when I happen to get a small division along with a purchase that I put that smaller plant in LFS. So because of that I've only every planted smaller sized plants in 100% LFS.

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!