FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By MattBregazzi
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted on here; I've had my plant(s) for a couple of years now and all seems to be going OK (largely thanks to the superb advice of you fellow CP enthusiasts!)

Just lately though I've encountered a small problem and was wondering if it is anything to be worried about. I currently have 2 plants, both of which came from a plant I bought about 18 months ago; I repotted around this time last year and managed to divide the rhizome successfully to get 4 plants out of it, 2 of which I gave away. The other two have been doing fine up until recently; some new traps seem to be very small in comparison to the leaf blade, and they quickly turn black while the rest of the leaf remains green..

I haven't been doing anything different to my usual care: demineralised water at all times, and a fair amount of light. One thing that I thought might affect them is that I moved house in November and the window sill where I currently keep them gets slightly less light than my old one. However, I wouldn't have thought this would have much effect over winter since the plants have been dormant. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your always constructive help guys.

Matt
By stitz25b
got any pics that would help us
By Daniel_G
That sounds like a combination of shock and lack of light to me, i would put it where it could get more light, and it should be back to normal soon :)
Daniel_G liked this
By victor
What you described sounds like your plants need much more sunlight.
By MattBregazzi
Thanks guys. I managed to get a picture..

What I don't understand is that my plants don't seem to have had a problem with light that much recently; over winter they produced a lot of healthy traps and showed no ill effects from the move. This seems a very recent problem.
By victor
Your plant needs more sun! ( It should get at least 4 hours of direct sun per day although 6+ hours of direct is the best)

If not it's probabaly still coming out of dormancy. But the traps shouldn't be that small nor should they be dying all
of a sudden.
By chris
Mine are doing the exact same thing. Right now they are inside in a south window and get about 6 hours of direct sunlight per day (when it is sunny, we are still getting a lot of cloudy days) and then I put them under artificial light for another 5 hours in the evening. Over the past 2 weeks the new emerging leaves are getting bigger before the tips blacken so I think it may be improving slowly, but it is not making traps only small pointy tips like the photo, which die and then stunt the growth. There are actually no old leaves left on the plants everything died and I did lose a couple of divisions that never seemed to wake up. I have a couple baby plants from a flower stalk which are doing awesome they are throwing new traps everyday the only difference is they didn't get dormancy this year so I have to think that was the problem.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!