FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By EmzyT
hey.
I'd really wanna create a peat bog in my garden. I'm not worried about the summer but we can have extremely bad winters with snow that can last weeks. Temps can range from -10 to 10in winter. Last dec it was down to minus 20! Would any species survive if it was ever to get that cold again?? Just wondering so i can get rid of the project idea before i get excited about it lol! Thanks for any advice. I'm from scotland. X
By Matt
That's definitely quite cold weather you have there!

There are quite a few temperate species of Drosera that can take temperatures that low. Sarracenia and flytraps can take it too provided you give them a good mulch before the first freeze. I've read about people in Canada growing Sarracenia, flytraps and Drosera outside in a bog garden all year where the temperatures can get very cold (colder than your weather). They just mulch them with 8cm to 10cm of pine needles or wood chips, covering them first with burlap or something else that makes the mulch easy to remove. Then when the chance of freeze has passed, remove the mulch and the plants take off!
By Oblivion
maybe you could move it indoors, or into your shed?

if people put their plants in a fridge for dormancy, maybe indoors somewhere thats not heated will be fine?

burlap = hessian sack (i think)

By limeslide
Sarracenia purpurea is a good candidate. Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea lives high up in Canada.
By petmantis
The 20 or so species of CPs that Canadaone has listed HERE are all Canadian natives.

These and pretty much every Sarracenia sp. can be grown in Canadian climates, so you should be OK with them outdoors the entire time. I'd advise you to be careful with things like S. minor and S. psittacina, however. They are don't necessarily enjoy too cold a winter...
By Andrew
limeslide wrote:Sarracenia purpurea is a good candidate. Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea lives high up in Canada.
Actually, I have seen some different sarracenia's in bogs here in Nova Scotia, maybe 100 feet from the ocean. When my family goes for a hike, I will have to snap some pictures.
By Ronnie
Hi Emma..

They 2 VFT's i left outside in a pot survived alot of snow etc and down to about -13..
Most sarrencia should be fine in a bog thats deep enough.

Cp's will do better if the bog is at least 50cm deep i think.. This will keep the soil a good average tempreture.

So, your VFT's, sarrencia and some sundews will be fine. Also some hardy pings like vulgaris.
Don't pick sarencia that are too tall as the pitchers will break in windy scotland unless the big is against a wall or soemthing stopping too much wind.

Ronnie,.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!