FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By dalat_1960
Bamboo is very strong plant. It easily grows on every type of soil. Actually, Bamboo is the symbol of Vietnam's countriside.
(aquabird.com.vn)
This is a little bamboo, we can eat it, so good
(nongnghiep.vn)
By savagegardener
You can eat Bamboo?
I didnt know that.
I think it would be cool to live in a bamboo house.
By triffidlover
Yes, you can eat bamboo. You never had bamboo shoots with Chinese food? There are many different types of bamboo (technically a grass) out there, and it will grow as a perennial as high as zone 4b, (Mulch it a lot if you live that far north). There are dwarf forms that only grow a foot or so. There are types that grow up to eighteen inches in a year. There are some lovely varigated forms now too. Bamboo makes a lovely privacy screen. I recommend CLUMPING bamboo, not spreading bamboo. The spreading bamboo is the sort that will come up in the crack in your basement floor. Very invasive, takes over.
By lemonlily
I have a plant that lives in water. It looks something like a bamboo, but had wide leaves that come in layers.
By Budukai
Steve_D wrote:KUDZU, the Green Monster!

A good example of an invasive species of plant is kudzu, originally from the orient and introduced to the U.S. in the last half of the 1800s. (It really likes the climate of the southeastern U.S.)
Oh Steve, if only you lived out here :( Kudzu is by far one of the most annoying plants out here. I see them all the time on the highway and in my backyard, and they're always getting worse each year, trees don't have a chance. I tend to forget about them most of the time whenever I go anywhere since I'm so used to it. The leaves die back in the winter, so they aren't so noticeable, but come spring time it's like swamp thing. Really strong herbicide has been used, but of coarse that kills everything else in the process. One good and only one good thing I like about kudzu is their really pretty purple flowers that come out from the start of July to mid fall, they smell great and look almost like grapes from a distance. I have read that kudzu can be turned into some kind of candy, no clue where to get this candy, but nice to know it can be eaten in some way.
Attachments:
flower-detail-4842.jpg
flower-detail-4842.jpg (8.25 KiB) Viewed 10447 times
By KingSizePT
i had recently planted 3 seeds of mimosa, still waiting for the results :roll:
By Caleboy 123
Yeah, I like them too, but they are weeds, so I decided not to get it.
By KingSizePT
but they are some cool weeds :) i just want to try raising some just for fun and for the curiosityto see them grow

Peace
By Adam
These things are trees. And, man, do they grow fast.
By lemonlily
I stil want one! Now my question is, are seeds easier to get? Or is the plant itself easier to get? I haven't seen any and I want one. Well I did have a dream about it...
By KingSizePT
if i had read this post earlier, i'd took a photo of the mimosa seeds but now they're already under soil and no more left :roll:

Here in portugal i think its easier to get the seeds but i dont know if is easier to get plant or seed in your city\country
By Ecs-s
lemonlily wrote:I stil want one! Now my question is, are seeds easier to get? Or is the plant itself easier to get? I haven't seen any and I want one. Well I did have a dream about it...
ebay about £1.00 for ten seeds got mine from there and they growing great but dam they grow fast
By Siannuro
Caleboy 123 wrote:Yeah, I like them too, but they are weeds, so I decided not to get it.
They make very good medicinal tea. They grow like weeds but they're good. They grow wild in Puerto Rico and I remember my mom picking them bare hands *shrugs* to make tea (they have prickles).
By lemonlily
Hmm, I wonder if I can find any at a nursery...
By Adam
The stem gets quite thick quite fast. I'm thinking this thing may be "bonzai-able"...

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!