FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mcgrumpers
Up until recently, my nepenthes ventricosa has been consistently growing larger and larger pitchers since I got it about a year ago. The most recent pitcher, however, doesn't look right:
weird_pitcher.jpg
weird_pitcher.jpg (59.59 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
:shock:

For reference, this is what the rest of the plant looks like:
ventricosa.jpg
ventricosa.jpg (65.58 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Growing conditions haven't changed at all (humidity has been the same). Is this strange pitcher a fluke or could there be pests involved?

I also noticed these strange little drops on the underside of a neighboring nep leaves. Could that be honeydew?
weird_drops.jpg
weird_drops.jpg (86.54 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
By camsdad66
I certainly wouldn't be alarmed over one malformed pitcher, probably just damaged when starting to form, or a growing "glitch". I have had many develop pitchers that were deformed or had no lids, etc. Next ones should be fine. As far as the droplets under the leaves, most likely just water from the transpiration (if im using the correct word) of the plant's leaves releasing excess water. Nepenthes dont secrete any nectar from any part of the plant except the pitchers, far as i know, so they can attract and capture prey in them. Your Ventricosa looks nice and healthy, by the way.
All the best!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
camsdad66 liked this

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!