FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
Naja002 wrote:Well, it dawned on me when I was collecting the needles that pine branches, pine bark, and pine cones all wind up on and in the ground, so why not include those too?
I thought the same thing, which is why I've been trying evergreen bark ("orchid bark") in some of my mixes, so far with no discernible negative effects. Next I plan to try a sphagnum-free mix of sand, evergreen needles and evergreen bark pieces. Like everyone else, I'm very curious about this and about alternatives to sphagnum peat moss.

Anyway, great going, Naja. You're going to have a very interesting growing season with your new planter bog and media experiments. :D
By Naja002
Steve_D wrote:
Naja002 wrote:Well, it dawned on me when I was collecting the needles that pine branches, pine bark, and pine cones all wind up on and in the ground, so why not include those too?
I thought the same thing, which is why I've been trying evergreen bark ("orchid bark") in some of my mixes, so far with no discernible negative effects. Next I plan to try a sphagnum-free mix of sand, evergreen needles and evergreen bark pieces. Like everyone else, I'm very curious about this and about alternatives to sphagnum peat moss.

Anyway, great going, Naja. You're going to have a very interesting growing season with your new planter bog and media experiments. :D

Sounds good, and interesting! Personally, I think there is a future here for the coir....and long as it's washed well and mixed right...I would say it will be around for a while.

Seems as though you have tried a lot of different medias. Have you ever given any thought to documenting online the outcome, general outcomes, or at least your opinion on the different trials? Would give others reason to steer clear or even duplicate those efforts. I have going on what I have going on now, and no too sure that I want to take on any more at the moment, but my shortage is simply ideas.

Well, here's some info that we all may find interesting...at least it will start an initial benchmark. I knew it was suppose to be rainy all night last night, all day today and into tonight....soooo, I emptied the self-watering pot reservoirs in order to collect the drain water from each of the pots! Image

I got out some cups, Ph meter, TDS meter, etc...and went and collected the water samples:

Before getting started I calibrated the Ph probe to 4.00 and 7.00:

Code: Select all
    1) Peat/Sand/Perlite/Coffee Grounds :: 45/22/22/11    pH: 5.31    TDS: 43  ppm
    2) Peat/Sand/Perlite                :: 50/25/25           5.25         41  ppm

3) Eco Earth/Sand                   :: 67/33              5.64         53  ppm
    4) Eco Earth/Sand/Coffee Grounds    :: 56/33/11           5.58         143 ppm

5) Peat/Sand                        :: 50/50              5.51         16  ppm
    6) Peat/Sand/Coffee Grounds         :: 39/50/11           4.83         148 ppm

7) Procoir/Sand                     :: 67/33              6.18         24  ppm
    8) Procoir/Sand/Coffee Grounds      :: 56/33/11           5.45         81  ppm

9) Procoir/Sand/Pine Needles et al  :: 39/28/33           5.37         59  ppm

The most disheartening thing about the results is that it certainly appears that I forgot to add the coffee to pot #1. Image The ppm are too low and the pH and ppm matches pot #2. Not sure how I would have accomplished that on the very first pot...unless I simply grabbed the wrong plant label. Thoughts on repotting that one real quick? Image Seems that there should not be too much impact considering the time of year and it is still winter here.
Last edited by Naja002 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Steve_D
Naja002 wrote:Thoughts on repotting that one real quick?
That's what I would do. The plants won't suffer much setback because they are not yet established anyway. :)
Steve_D liked this
By Naja002
Steve_D wrote:
Naja002 wrote:Thoughts on repotting that one real quick?
That's what I would do. The plants won't suffer much setback because they are not yet established anyway. :)
Done! Pot #1 is replanted and it's soaking up water now, and I will put it back in it's spot in a little while. Image
By 95slvrZ28
        Potting Components          ::   Ratios
1) Peat/Sand/Perlite/Coffee Grounds :: 45/22/22/11    pH: 5.31    TDS: 43  ppm
2) Peat/Sand/Perlite                :: 50/25/25       pH: 5.25    TDS: 41  ppm
3) Eco Earth/Sand                   :: 67/33          pH: 5.64    TDS: 53  ppm
4) Eco Earth/Sand/Coffee Grounds    :: 56/33/11       pH: 5.58    TDS: 143 ppm
5) Peat/Sand                        :: 50/50          pH: 5.51    TDS: 16  ppm
6) Peat/Sand/Coffee Grounds         :: 39/50/11       pH: 4.83    TDS: 148 ppm
7) Procoir/Sand                     :: 67/33          pH: 6.18    TDS: 24  ppm
8) Procoir/Sand/Coffee Grounds      :: 56/33/11       pH: 5.45    TDS: 81  ppm
9) Procoir/Sand/Pine Needles et al  :: 39/28/33       pH: 5.37    TDS: 59  ppm
Formatted it up for you. You can use code brackets when you post:
 [code] your text here 
[/code]
Then all characters become the same width. Then it's really easy to do some decent looking text formatting because you just open up notepad (or your favorite text editor like Gedit etc. if you run a non-windows computer), put your results in there and make it look nice, and paste it into the code brackets. Or I can do it for you a few posts later and you can ninja edit them in ;)
95slvrZ28, 95slvrZ28 liked this
By Steve_D
95slvrZ28 wrote:or your favorite text editor like Gedit etc. if you run a non-windows computer
Gedit it is, in my Gnome desktop environment on my Ubuntu Linux computer! :) Nice to see a plug for open-source computing. The formatting looks great and the results are interesting. It looks like the coffee grounds are having an acidifying effect, if I read the results right. I wonder how long that will last. I also like the apparent acidifying effect of the pine needles in the coir medium of pot 9. Interesting--

I'll post the results of my media trials as I develop opinions about them, but I'm not nearly as (cough)obsessive-compulsive(cough) about documenting them (cough) so my thoughts might be a little subjective. Just kidding. I guess I feel a little too busy or too scattered to be organized enough. :mrgreen:
By Naja002
95slvrZ28 wrote: Formatted it up for you. You can use code brackets when you post:
 [code] your text here 
[/code]
Then all characters become the same width. Then it's really easy to do some decent looking text formatting because you just open up notepad (or your favorite text editor like Gedit etc. if you run a non-windows computer), put your results in there and make it look nice, and paste it into the code brackets. Or I can do it for you a few posts later and you can ninja edit them in ;)

Ninja edited! Many Thanx, Blake! I've rarely, if ever, used the code tags, so I don't even think about them. :roll: Is there anyway to "bold" and/or "underline" within the code tags?
By Naja002
Steve_D wrote:
95slvrZ28 wrote:or your favorite text editor like Gedit etc. if you run a non-windows computer
Gedit it is, in my Gnome desktop environment on my Ubuntu Linux computer! :) Nice to see a plug for open-source computing. The formatting looks great and the results are interesting. It looks like the coffee grounds are having an acidifying effect, if I read the results right. I wonder how long that will last. I also like the apparent acidifying effect of the pine needles in the coir medium of pot 9. Interesting--

I'll post the results of my media trials as I develop opinions about them, but I'm not nearly as (cough)obsessive-compulsive(cough) about documenting them (cough) so my thoughts might be a little subjective. Just kidding. I guess I feel a little too busy or too scattered to be organized enough. :mrgreen:

Obsessive-compulsive? Who me? What? Image Actually, since this is just a hobby...I can kind of approach it however I want, so I can be a bit more involved in ways that interest me. I can limit the directions that I go, and limit the distance that I head down those paths. Personally, whether the outcome is "positive" or "negative", I think that there is something to be gleaned here. However, since I don't have the resources of NASA, we'll all just have to settle for what I can accomplish on my own. :mrgreen: And, then what we can garner from that as a community. Fortunately for me, I'm not being yanked in many different directions as you and Matt both are. I can wear 1 or 2 or even 3 different hats and call it a day. Image

I am curious too about the long-term effects of the coffee grounds. On the one hand, I would think that it may wash out pretty quickly, but on the other hand there may be some long-term benefit(s) as it biodegrades. May be beneficial or detrimental to some type of fungus or bacteria<--which may be beneficial or detrimental to the individual "eco-systems".

The pH drop of the Procoir + Pine was not a really big surprise to me after the initial jar experiment. (I still have it, re-vacuum-sealed and sitting....I'll check it again in probably another week.) Maybe a 25/25/50 Procoir/sand/pine mix might help drop the pH even more, yet retain some water retention and drainage. I have no idea what the water retention v. drainage is for the pine as it biodegrades. Image

For the record, the plants' foliage are degrading evenly across the board from 1) exposure to slightly below freezing temps, 2) 1 good frost and 3) sunburn. I think that is to be expected considering it is still winter here, and after sitting 8-9 days in a box and then in the fridge. It is even across the board (all pots, all clones), so I think it's obvious that it is from outside of the pots, not inside. Image
By 95slvrZ28
Naja002 wrote:Is there anyway to "bold" and/or "underline" within the code tags?
Unfortunately no :( Anything within code tags get output as a literal and is not interpreted as BB code.
By Naja002
95slvrZ28 wrote:
Naja002 wrote:Is there anyway to "bold" and/or "underline" within the code tags?
Unfortunately no :( Anything within code tags get output as a literal and is not interpreted as BB code.

Well, Many Thanx again for the effort and pointing that out! I may very well use it to create some type of summary table for all of the media cleaning info in the soak station thread.
By Naja002
Just a quick update.

It's been 21 days...3 weeks, and I am finally starting to see some noticeable recovery on some of the plants. The sun-scorching, frost, freezing, etc has been really hard on them. It seems as though spring has sprung here, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

One thing I have noticed is that the sand-top-dressing of the pots with coffee dry out noticeably faster than the other pots. The sand quantity was maintained in those mixes and the coffee amount replaced the peat/coir.

There is also a noticeable difference in weight from pot to pot; mix to mix. I don't happen to have a scale that will handle those weights, so I cannot do a weight comparison.

I am going to see about getting to another pH and TDS check of the medias soon...
By Tony C
How are you controlling for the shared water reservoir? From what I can see there is nothing that prevents salts and other compounds from leaching out of the experimental mixes and being absorbed by the pots of traditional media.
By salty
He mentions they are in self watering pots, so they would each have their own resevoir.
By Naja002
Tony C wrote:How are you controlling for the shared water reservoir? From what I can see there is nothing that prevents salts and other compounds from leaching out of the experimental mixes and being absorbed by the pots of traditional media.

Good observation. The short answer is: I'm not/can't. But, it's not quite as it seems. Since setting this Planter Bog up in Aug. '11....100% of the water has come from the sky (rain), except for a few gals of RODI via pump sprayer top-watering. The RODI is beyond negligible and was top-watered anyway. Basically, I guesstimate the reservoir to be ~160 gal. It's really hard to get an accurate assessment, because it's not just a rectangular box inside. The Planter Area currently has roughly 40 gals of accumulated rain water, and I have ~100 gals stored in containers. Plus I've used a bunch for media preparation. My point is that very near 100% of the watering, so far, is by rain aka top-watering....so, your question hasn't been an issue...yet! :mrgreen:

I suspect that the abundance of rainwater will continue for another month or 2, and then there may be some dry spells during the summer that will require watering from the reservoir. At that point, I think it will really be a non-issue. Taking just the reservoir at roughly 160 gals....the dilution rate is more than adequate to overcome the "shared-salts" issue. The solution to pollution is dilution. :mrgreen: The reservoir (without mosquito dunks) seems to stay at ~11-14 ppm, so it's pretty clean water to start with...and that is drain water from the pots themselves. Also, I think that most of the salts are the same anyway, yes, the coffee being an exception to that.

Except for the coffee, which is used coffee grounds, all of the media was cleaned in my soak stations, so the salt run-off is minimal.

With the minimal bottom-watering (from the reservoir) and the influx of clean rainwater, plus draining excess water out the back....I think that the low ppm maintained in the reservoir says that "shared salts" really should not be an issue/ concern. Great question though! Image

How are those timers working out for you?

salty wrote:He mentions they are in self watering pots, so they would each have their own resevoir.
They are self-watering pots, but he's referring to the bottom-watering from the system reservoir. However, the self-watering pots seem to help keep the bottom-watering to a minimum....basically, non-existent!
By Tony C
Very nice, thanks for the explanation and good luck with the trials.
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!