FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
I've gotten some mealy bugs on my ceph, and can't remember if ceph's are particularly sensitive to insecticides or not. Should I just get any mealy bug insecticide from the store or do I need to get something more specific to not harm the Ceph?
By Demonaea
I just found mealybugs on one of my sarr's. I read that you should mix 70% rubbing alcohol with a few drops of dish detergent and use a cotton swab to dab the problem areas. I'm using that method and my all purpose 3-in-1 insecticide/miticide/disease control. Since I just found this out today I can't say whether or not it works but I'll post an update. Also they may need to be repotted if they got into the roots too.
By xr280xr
I'd be very wary of putting alcohol on them. It can quickly cause cell death.

I lightly sprayed one of my cephs with a sulfur/pyrethrins spray over the summer and it might not of liked it. It looks kind of crappy. I can't be sure that's the reason though.
xr280xr liked this
By Demonaea
xr280xr wrote:I'd be very wary of putting alcohol on them. It can quickly cause cell death.

I lightly sprayed one of my cephs with a sulfur/pyrethrins spray over the summer and it might not of liked it. It looks kind of crappy. I can't be sure that's the reason though.

I'm used to using it for myself, I know it evaporates very quickly if it doesn't pool up at all. I ensured a light, targeted dabbing application rather than dousing to minimize the exposure to my sarr.
By SundewWolf
I used to dab alcohol as well, with a q-tip.
Ceph's dead now so I guess the mealy bugs are not an issue anymore lol.

well I do have them on my Sarracenia now though... Its on my VFT shelf so I should sure it before it spreads...
By Demonaea
SundewWolf wrote:I used to dab alcohol as well, with a q-tip.
Ceph's dead now so I guess the mealy bugs are not an issue anymore lol.

well I do have them on my Sarracenia now though... Its on my VFT shelf so I should sure it before it spreads...

Hopefully the purps are hardy enough to deal with an occasional swabbing. I also my have gotten lucky; these were outside all winter (which is where they must've gotten them) and I may have caught the bugs hibernating before they could breed out of control. Do update the situation though. I might have to take care of this on my end also :\

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!