FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By MetaNight808
Hey matt you should make youtube videos about taking care of venus fly traps and such. I've always wanted to but im a complete newb :D . just a suggestion for you, it will also help business.
MetaNight808 liked this
By Matt
Steve and I have discussed making videos and plan to do so at some point. Problem is that we don't live close enough to each other to be able to film one another. I've thought about getting my wife to do some video, but I haven't followed through on it.

Anyone interested in providing Steve and I with a list of topics that you'd like to see videos of or that you think would be most helpful to new growers? I suppose these are the things that I'd probably start with:
1) A video discussing the importance of bright light for flytraps and how lack of good lighting is a leading cause of death.
2) A video discussing the importance of water low in mineral content and why it's important for flytraps. Discuss how to collect rain water, purchase distilled water and mention reverse osmosis units. Also talk about how to test water with a TDS meter and where TDS meters can be bought for a reasonable price. Also talk about how flytraps, contrary to popular believe, prefer to have their soil moist, not wet. Leaving them sitting in water, especially if they're in shallow pots, can lead to root rot.
3) A video discussing proper planting media for flytraps and demonstrating the technique for planting them.
4) A video discussing dormancy, when it happens, how to recognize it, etc.

Anything else?
Matt liked this
By MetaNight808
Hmm.... well you could discuss about growing venus fly traps from seeds, different types of venus fly traps, background info on the venus fly trap..... can't really think of anything else. i'll tell you when a thought comes to my mind.
By 95slvrZ28
To be quite honest I think most of these items are really as good, if not better in text form. Discussing bright light vocally as opposed to using text isn't going to make much of a difference (unless you can't read...in which case you have no idea what I'm saying, and thus it wouldn't matter to you right now).

I think things that would benefit from video are techniques as opposed to general information. Show how you repot plants, correct proportions and mixing of potting media etc.

By the way Matt, you could probably make the videos with a well placed tripod if you don't have someone to hold the camera for you.
By Steve_D
95slvrZ28 wrote:By the way Matt, you could probably make the videos with a well placed tripod if you don't have someone to hold the camera for you.
That's a good idea. Thanks, I might try this myself. :)
By HarrisAz
ya but there some misinformation.like Expert Village's videos about watering VFT.they said if u let the water evaporates for 2days,u can use the water.and theres some more.

Also Matt,discuss about Propagations of VFt!Leaf pulling,divisions.

as toppings(optional),make a video hw u put VFT seeds in vitro!hw u sterilize it,put in the jar, etc etc
By Oblivion
i think showing people the rhizome, how the leaves curl around to protect it and how to repot properly.
show any sickness or bugs if possible, show plants entering dormancy, exiting dormancy,flower stalks, pollination, seed collection, etc etc.

i'd be happy to help with some basic video editing, unless someone with better skills would prefer the job. (including matt and steve of course)
By Grey
I love the idea of videos showing how things are done. Sometimes my brain just won't register text, and so videos are ideal.

As the other community members have suggested, propogation, seedlings, germination and pest recognition videos would really be helpful. Personally, I'd love to see disease recognition, how to self-pollinate/cross-polinate - how to correctly apply fungicite would be wonderful! Dormancy is also my key issue at the moment.

I would definately love to see a few DIY videos on how to contruct bird and squirrel proof protection for our lovely flytraps.=]
By Matt
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely start making a list of videos to do and try my best to work on them this spring as I'm repotting, spraying for pests, propagating, pollinating, etc. Perhaps Steve and I could make a list and divide it up. I do have a good tripod that I could potentially use for filming myself.
Matt liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!