FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I just noticed a new VFT listed in the Flytrap Store. Maroon Monster ? Looks pretty neat guys. I've gotta get one ! :mrgreen:
By Matt
DTDream18 wrote:I just noticed a new VFT listed in the Flytrap Store. Maroon Monster ? Looks pretty neat guys. I've gotta get one ! :mrgreen:
Thanks! Yeah, it's a gorgeous plant and one of my favorites...though I do have a soft spot for red clones. But a red clone with large traps and prostrate (low-lying) growth is like a dream come true for me. I really like the plants that hug the ground more than the upright ones.

Steve and I are auctioning the first one off on eBay starting tonight :)
By DTDream18
I like the Red Plants also. I've added a large pot of Red Dragons and Royal Reds to my collection this year. I'd love to be the first kid on my block with a Maroon Monster. I'll be one of the guys bidding !
By Matt
DTDream18 wrote:I've added a large pot of Red Dragons and Royal Reds to my collection this year.
Nice! Royal Red is a nice clone. I like Red Dragons OK too, but I actually just dumped out my "mother pot" of them because I needed room for other clones that I like more. I'm going to make a mother pot of the "FTS Maroon Monster" this year though :)
DTDream18 wrote:I'd love to be the first kid on my block with a Maroon Monster. I'll be one of the guys bidding !
OK, good luck to you!
jht-union wrote:Very neat matt, i will be paying attention to the auction closely ;)
Thanks jht-union :)
By dantt99
Matt wrote:Steve and I are auctioning the first one off on eBay starting tonight
Is it somewhat rare, or just an Ebay auction for change ;)?
Matt wrote:I really like the plants that hug the ground more than the upright ones.
Really? I like both, but I love the ones that grow up high! :) A perfect example would be the pic on FTS for the Red Piranha, (possibly) my favorite VFT clone:
By sekler
I can't wait to see pictures of it !!!
By Steve_D
DTDream18 wrote:Maroon Monster ? Looks pretty neat guys.
Thanks. the FTS Maroon Monster is the result of our cross-pollination breeding efforts. Matt germinated the seed in tissue culture sterile medium and propagated the tiny plants in vitro. Then both Matt and I planted the deflasked seedling clones to grow in our greenhouses. They are now ready to sell, the largest in auctions at Ebay, and the young ones not too long from now at FlytrapStore.com. :)

Maroon Monster seems outstanding to me because it has many of the best characteristics of valued red-leafed Venus Flytraps, but without their drawbacks. For example, it has much sturdier leaves than Akai Ryu (Red Dragon) and typically more of them. It has the intensely deep red traps of Pink Venus, but the traps are much larger and so is the entire plant. Like Royal Red, Maroon Monster has the incredible deep red traps both inside and out that are rimmed with bright lime green, but grows on thick and sturdy leaves that ale lower to the ground usually in an almost prostrate rosette, unlike Royal Red's relatively thin, upright summer growth. Maroon Monster has been under evaluation by Matt and myself for a year now, and as we have watched various of the plants of this clone mature, we have both been impressed with it and finally decided to name and sell it. :D
Steve_D, Steve_D, Steve_D and 1 others liked this
By Matt
dantt99 wrote:Is it somewhat rare, or just an Ebay auction for change ;)?
Well, it's rare in the sense that it is a unique seed-raised plant that no one else grows except Steve and I. But both Steve and I have some young ones that will be listed for sale in the store at some point this year. We'll probably sell the mature ones we have on eBay.
dantt99 wrote:Really? I like both, but I love the ones that grow up high! :) A perfect example would be the pic on FTS for the Red Piranha, (possibly) my favorite VFT clone
Red Piranha used to be my favorite clone. But I have since realized that I prefer the plants that stay low to the ground. They usually have much larger traps and seem more robust to me, not blowing around when it's windy and triggering all of their traps closed.
sekler wrote:I can't wait to see pictures of it !!!
There are a few pictures in the store here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/venus- ... -trap.html
And here's the auction with some good photos:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0669641823
Dionae wrote::shock: Next time you decide to dump out a mother pot dump it in a box and ship it to me :lol: .
Hah, welll, the plants from that pot will be sold as mature plants starting on Friday (tomorrow).
Matt, Matt, Matt liked this
By victor
What does a maroon monster look like???
By linton
Pictures please!!!
By Matt
A few photos can be seen in the eBay auction here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0669641823
And in the store here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/venus- ... -trap.html

When I get a chance, I'll upload some more photos of it.
Matt liked this
By frog
Maroon Monster is a bad plant bugs all over the world better watch out. can't wait until it's in stock at the store.
So many to choose from so little money to buy some keep it up guys.
By victor
Thanks so much for the pictures Matt!!!
Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!