FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By dantt99
I just got an (I hope) good idea of a way to create a 10 inch by 20 inch greenhouse with a 7 inch dome. I went to http://www.hydroponics.net/c/165 and was looking at the trays like this particular one : http://www.hydroponics.net/i/241180 If you bought that, and bought this dome to fit it: http://www.hydroponics.net/i/241182, do you think would make a half-decent greenhouse? I would plan on putting the tray down, putting the potted plants into the tray, then putting the dome on top. If you were wondering about climate, San Diego is very mild, but the humidity dips down in the teens sometimes and I don't like that. What do you guys think of my idea, genius or inane? :roll:
Thanks for looking at my idea. Here's an illustration to go with it:
Mini Greenhouse.png
Mini Greenhouse.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 5631 times
By dantt99
Oh I just realized this should be in the Terrariums, Mini-bogs, and Greenhouses section, if a Moderator or Admin wants to move it, feel free :D
By victor
Nice design and good luck constructing it!
By Matt
That dome would certainly help keep the humidity higher and you can probably buy one locally at a grow shop for $5-$7 (they have them at the place I buy my 10x20 trays).

But my main concern would be heat buildup. If you put that thing in direct sunlight, it wouldn't take long for the temperatures to rise significantly. Even under fluorescent lights, it could get significantly warmer under a dome like that.
By dantt99
This is mainly to accommodate my Cephalotus, but it would work for all my plants. What do you think would be better, 20% humidity open, or 50-75 or more % with higher temperatures? I don't think it would heat up that bad under 75 degrees? Would it?
By Matt
dantt99 wrote:What do you think would be better, 20% humidity open, or 50-75 or more % with higher temperatures?
I can't say for sure. It depends on how high the temperatures get.
dantt99 wrote:I don't think it would heat up that bad under 75 degrees? Would it?
Oh yes! Even on days when it's in the 30s°F, if it's clear and sunny the greenhouses can get into the 80s very quickly. If it's in the low 50s and sunny it gets over 90°F in the greenhouses. When it's in the 60s I usually open the vents and/or the doors to allow the cooler air in. And the greenhouses have a lot volume of air to heat up than that small dome.
By dantt99
Matt wrote:Oh yes! Even on days when it's in the 30s°F, if it's clear and sunny the greenhouses can get into the 80s very quickly. If it's in the low 50s and sunny it gets over 90°F in the greenhouses. When it's in the 60s I usually open the vents and/or the doors to allow the cooler air in. And the greenhouses have a lot volume of air to heat up than that small dome.
Okay, 1 more question! How do you keep your greenhouses cool? Just open the door? Because I was planning on punching lots and lots of holes, probably 50 hole punch sized holes at the near bottom of the dome so that it might let hotter air out and keep it not too hot near the surface of the soil...
By Matt
dantt99 wrote:Okay, 1 more question! How do you keep your greenhouses cool? Just open the door?
The small greenhouse has one vent. The medium sized greenhouse has 2 vents and the largest greenhouse has 4 vents. When I open the door and the vents, that will keep it fairly cool if the temperature outside isn't too hot. On hot days, I have fans in each of the greenhouses that kick on if the temperature gets above a certain level. In the small greenhouse I have to additionally use a shade cloth to help keep it cool enough.
By dantt99
So if I got that setup and punched tons of holes in it, would that be enough. Say 50-100 holes ?
By dantt99
Yeah, I know that those are available. They just aren't that functional. Most only have a couple holes that can be vented. But when/if I get it, I'll be sure to punch lots of holes toward the top and bottom! :)
By Daniel_G
But remember dan, those holes would release heat, and humidity, and what if the temps get cold, the greenhouse would too, without and way to keep in heat. I think vents are your best bet :)
By Grey
I use plant propagator boxes (which are very similar to your idea) without any heat or mould issues.

You can get massive propagator boxes which have vents (most if not all do) that you can open and close at will. I keep them open during the day and closed at night and the humidity inside is kept at a good level, as are temperatures.

If temperatures are a concern you can always purchase a heated propagator box, which is simply plugged into the mains. If temperatures get too high you can unplug it and use it unheated, too.

Personally I think propagator boxes are under-used in general carnivorous plant cultivation. If you have the means and funds for a greenhouse or an artifically lit terrarium, fine and dandy. I personally don't have the space or funds for large structures so these light, easy-to-move boxes are really wonderful. They can be dumped on a windowsill in the sun (as long as it doesn't heat up too much) or kept on a shelf closeby to an artifical light source and you still get great results.

That's just my experience though. I'm considering fitting half the plastic "dome" that comes with the box with tin foil so the light reflects back into the box when I place it on my windowsill. You could even go as far as to line the bottom of the propagator base with tin foil to reflect light upwards though I don't know if that'll be beneficial.

I think your idea is grand, however I believe a ready-made propagator box may prove cheaper. I remember wanting to purchase a dome for my Ferrero Seed Tray and it cost more than a propagator box + lid with vents so I went for the propagator instead and am certainly glad I did.
Grey liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!