FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Mpott302
There’s a small pitcher plant (not sure what it was) to the left of the plant you like. That’s the one I lost.
In the summer they sit outside in full sun. I live in Delaware we have hot humid weather in the summer.
This is my first winter having them. They’re on an enclosed porch on the east side of my house that tends to stay around 40 degrees. I have a space heater out there plugged into a switch that only turns on if the room reaches 32 degrees then turns back off once it’s 38 or so. They don’t get much direct sun. Maybe an hour or two in the morning, the rest of the day they get indirect light and I have a grow light on 4 hours a day. Everything seems fine, flytraps are in dormancy, not sure what the pitcher plants are doing they’re not really growing but also not dead. I’ll get a picture of the setup later
By Mpott302
My bog gardens were really easy to make. I think I’m gonna switch to LFSM this spring. The peat moss really compacted after a few rains.. even with 50% perlite
By Big-Jack
Mpott302 wrote:My bog gardens were really easy to make. I think I’m gonna switch to LFSM this spring. The peat moss really compacted after a few rains.. even with 50% perlite
After finding out the hard way how much peat compacts I always let my unplanted pots sit out in a few good downpours first. Then top it off with more peat and my plants.
Big-Jack liked this
By Fishkeeper
You leave bog gardens outside, just like any other potted flytrap. As long as the media doesn't freeze solid for longer than a day or so, they'll be fine. The only issue you can have is if the media freezes and they can't drink any water.

A bog garden is treated the same as a potted flytrap, it's just bigger.
By Mpott302
Fishkeeper wrote:You leave bog gardens outside, just like any other potted flytrap. As long as the media doesn't freeze solid for longer than a day or so, they'll be fine. The only issue you can have is if the media freezes and they can't drink any water.

A bog garden is treated the same as a potted flytrap, it's just bigger.
We’ve had consecutive days of single digit and low teen temps. The porch they’re on stays around 40 degrees most times which seems more like temps where they grow naturally. I could be wrong though, I’m fairly new at CP’s
By Klikmaus
My local Lowes had several flytraps on the shelf last spring, bought the only two that wasn't completely dead. By fall they seemed to be healthy enough to survive substrate change & repotting, neither trap seemed to go fully dormant. They didn't grow much this winter but they didn't fully die back either. Each plant kept several green traps and caught quite a few small bugs over the months.
Over the last few weeks they've all but exploded. It was quite amazing actually, both plants started growing flower buds on the same day.
They've almost doubled the number of traps they had just a month ago, the traps are easily three times the size they had before, and both have grown rhizomes & started new plants.
Klikmaus liked this
By Mpott302
Klikmaus wrote:My local Lowes had several flytraps on the shelf last spring, bought the only two that wasn't completely dead. By fall they seemed to be healthy enough to survive substrate change & repotting, neither trap seemed to go fully dormant. They didn't grow much this winter but they didn't fully die back either. Each plant kept several green traps and caught quite a few small bugs over the months.
Over the last few weeks they've all but exploded. It was quite amazing actually, both plants started growing flower buds on the same day.
They've almost doubled the number of traps they had just a month ago, the traps are easily three times the size they had before, and both have grown rhizomes & started new plants.
That’s awesome. I’ve bought a few from Lowe’s over the last year or two. No matter what state they’re in I just put them right into whatever growing conditions my flytraps are in at the time (unless mine are in full sun, then I adjust the Lowe’s traps into the sun over a few days) and they do just fine. I don’t really stress about dormancy or anything when I first get them, I figure they’ll fall into the swing of things next time around. Every flytrap I’ve bought from there has done great. That speaks to how tough VFTs really are because they’re living in horrible conditions at Lowe’s
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!