FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dionae
Just got a "bulb" cube for Christmas. It has a VFT and S. Purpurea bulb. The Purpurea bulb is huge! Both bulbs have growth and look healthy so maybe I can have some new growth in a week or 2. Merry Christmas everyone!!!
By dantt99
snapperhead51 wrote:
victorcai wrote:I wish my local lowes sold sarracenia rubras
victorcia
Well dont go there !! in spring try eBay for a source of plants you will get better quality and ranges of plants,, or ask people on here who are experienced growers in your country ,to see if they have split there sarras up and have spare plants , every 3 years I triple up on mine !! or look up the carnivorous plant society in your state or country and email the secretary or who ever is contactable on there web site and ask where or whom you can get the plants you want , these people like me will know who,when, where and how ,as there are all growers and have a huge resources and knowledge base of most or all CP's , for experience and to gain the proven knowledge you need joining a CP society is a proven way to get all you need from plants , resources , mediums , and supplies or will tell where to obtain them at discounted prices in you are a member !! rather than a store that carries a few un-named plants ??
J
Lowe's is a good source if you are looking for cheap, beaten plants :lol: . It can be good for the price, but you get what you pay for. Certainly you can get a better plant online for a slightly higher price, but much better quality. I'd use Lowe's as a last resort for cheap CPs :|
By victor
Shouldn't your VFT and S. purpurea be dormant right now?
By Dionae
Yes, they should but they were bought very late in the season so I decided to skip it this year:). I let most of my VFT go dormant but I have 3 that I skipped dormancy on. Hopefully, they'll be fine.
By victor
Well, be careful when you let them skip dormancy. I let one of my venus flytraps skip dormancy last year and it perished
victor liked this
By Daniel_G
Skipping dormancy can work well,as long as you know what your doing,also previous life of the plant can affect it,say,if it's had dormancy skipped the year before,it has less chance of surviving another skip.
By victor
Yeah, and it's also okay for them to skip if they're really young or seedlings.
By dantt99
Yeah. I can't expect Lowe's to give Venus Fly Trap any chance at going dormant :( . As of now it is way too late to put a plant dormant as days are already getting longer.
By victor
Well, I bought 3 of my CP's from Lowes and they've done very well

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!