FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By bvalente
Beautiful looking plants! The coloration and sheer "meaty-ness" of the traps are amazing. I ordered the Jaws (bareroot) you recommended and can't wait to see it! It just shipped today so hopefully have it on Friday, if not Saturday.

Ran out of my 50/50 mix, and wanted to try some LFSM as a media, so found some Mosser Lee I am going to give a shot with these.

Can't wait till they're here! Great looking plants!
By SFLguy
bvalente wrote:Beautiful looking plants! The coloration and sheer "meaty-ness" of the traps are amazing. I ordered the Jaws (bareroot) you recommended and can't wait to see it! It just shipped today so hopefully have it on Friday, if not Saturday.

Ran out of my 50/50 mix, and wanted to try some LFSM as a media, so found some Mosser Lee I am going to give a shot with these.

According to many people on the forum Mosser Lee is pretty bad quality so watch out with it :/
By bvalente
SFLguy wrote:
bvalente wrote:Beautiful looking plants! The coloration and sheer "meaty-ness" of the traps are amazing. I ordered the Jaws (bareroot) you recommended and can't wait to see it! It just shipped today so hopefully have it on Friday, if not Saturday.

According to many people on the forum Mosser Lee is pretty bad quality so watch out with it :/
I read that as well, for my first attempt with pure LFSM it was all my local nursery had and Lowe's was a bit out of my gas tank range at the time :lol: So for a decent LFSM, figured I would give it a try.
By SFLguy
bvalente wrote:
I read that as well, for my first attempt with pure LFSM it was all my local nursery had and Lowe's was a bit out of my gas tank range at the time :lol: So for a decent LFSM, figured I would give it a try.
Well if that's what you got, then why not :) but if you change your mind and have a home depot near by, they usually have some orchid moss (Chilean LFSM)

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
SFLguy liked this
By Matt
dmagnan wrote:
Matt wrote:Same goes for several flytraps that grew larger than I've ever seen them before when I shifted all of my plants from growing in peat/perlite/sand to New Zealand long fiber sphagnum.
I swear, when I first started on these forums years ago your plants were not as big. I mean, they were always impressive, and more healthy looking than mine, but some of these new pictures are astonishing. BUT you've given up your secret!!! HAHAHA (evil laugh)

So it turns out, it's not so easy to convey a comic supervillain tone in text. That sounded better in my head...
:lol: Yes, I've given up the secret! Hopefully more people will try it and have the success we've had :)

I hope you enjoy them. Jaws is awesome in my opinion, and one of the best flytraps out there!

As for the Mosser Lee, I'd have to recommend that you try a different LFSM to start with. That stuff is pretty bad...
Matt liked this
By Matt
tommyr wrote:What soil mix do you use for those VFTs Matt?
Last spring we switch to using pure New Zealand long-fiber sphagnum for all of our plants. The results have been amazing!
tommyr wrote:AWESOME! Jealous of the greenhouse! I WANT ONE!
Thanks :) I love our greenhouses. They're great. I hope that you're able to get your own someday!
Matt liked this
By tommyr
Matt wrote:
tommyr wrote:What soil mix do you use for those VFTs Matt?
Last spring we switch to using pure New Zealand long-fiber sphagnum for all of our plants. The results have been amazing!
tommyr wrote:AWESOME! Jealous of the greenhouse! I WANT ONE!
Thanks :) I love our greenhouses. They're great. I hope that you're able to get your own someday!

Thanks for the reply! I'll try switching some of mine over to LFSM next spring. I also need to get me one of the DC XLs! Impressive as hell!

Edit: Just ordered a DC XL Matt!
tommyr liked this
By Matt
jht-union wrote:Wow, awesome looking VFT's! :D A reminder of all the VFT"s I had before!
Thanks Jacobo! Yes, you had quite a nice collection of VFTs at one point! So sad that you had to part with them :(
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!