Moderator: Matt

By CarolinaDad
Photo
Photo
57AFAC9A-36CE-43B8-A5D4-A0D85CD3736D.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1444 times
Photo
Photo
C532E658-A74C-4B53-8D30-8F8B8493143A.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1444 times
Just bought our family's first flytrap. I got it at the local grocery store (first mistake?), have lost a few leaves, not a single bug caught (but it's only been two weeks). I've tried to feed it but it hasn't ever closed on anything. We kept it on the kitchen windowsill for over a week and I let it out from time to time. I've watered it a little twice with distilled water.

I'm in western NC. Any suggestions would be helpful.
By Missy2498
CarolinaDad wrote:Just bought our family's first flytrap. I got it at the local grocery store (first mistake?), have lost a few leaves, not a single bug caught (but it's only been two weeks). I've tried to feed it but it hasn't ever closed on anything. We kept it on the kitchen windowsill for over a week and I let it out from time to time. I've watered it a little twice with distilled water.

I'm in western NC. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I am no expert but it looks like you have some new leaves growing in the middle there. I’d say not a lost cause. Just hang in there. :)
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Your problem seems to be a lack of sunlight. Venus Flytraps are plants that love sun. So much so that it's hard to give them enough light on a window sill without any additional lighting. Acclimating your plant to grow outdoors will help a lot. The fact that you live in North Carolina (the native habit of Venus Flytraps) means that they should thrive pretty easily outdoors. You can read up more with this care guide made by the same person who has created these forums. https://www.flytrapcare.com/

Although buying a Flytrap from a hardware store usually isn't good for getting a healthy plant, they can certainly be brought back to health with proper care and time. You may have some trouble if you are starting out with these plants, but it can be done.

Good luck!
By Volmen
Ya they are native to north and South Carolina so just stick em outside on your porch if it gets good amount of sun and it will bounce back! Since they are from the south eastern part of North Carolina I would just bring them inside on days it drops below 20f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Doublebass1985
Your letting the plant get too dry and thats why the traps wont close if you try and feed it because it went into shock. Your pics look like your media is very dry i would water more often only with distilled water and it needs more light i would highly recommend supplementing more light with an LED grow bulb and place it 2-4" above the plant. Also you can pack the lfm down a little more tightly it looks slighty a little loose. If you do those 3 things your plant will be 100 times healthier.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!