FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan_
Does anyone here know anyone that has these specific plant seeds, or at least some of the cultivars listed below with locality of North Carolina? Can anyone recommend anyone to me that can ship to Canada? I've been on multiple forums,websites,ebay, you name it I've tried but they are all mostly American and some American companies won't ship seed internationally as I am located in Canada. As for the Canadian websites they can't seem to help me or the EU and CZ web pages don't seem to have what I am looking for either.

SARRACENIA SEED
S.flava var.maxima
S.flava var.artropurpurea (All Red Tube)
S.xcatesbaei: Sarracenia minor x purpurea
S.xchelsonii: Sarracenia purpurea x rubra
S.xharperi: Sarracenia flava x minor
S.xpopei: Sarracenia flava x rubra
S.xrehderi: Sarracenia minor x rubra
S.xswaniana: Sarracenia minor x purpurea

PINGUICULA SEED
Pinguicula caerulea
Pinguicula lutea
Pinguicula pumila

Thx!

Regards,
Jonathan
By MikeB
FYI - Sarracenia x catesbaei is a hybrid of Sarracenia flava x purpurea.

The temperate ping seeds are hard to find. AK Carnivores in Hawaii occasionally has some caerulea or lutea seeds for sale. Fly-Trap Farm in southeastern North Carolina has those two species on their plants-for-sale list, but I've found that you need to check if they actually have the plants in stock before placing an order.
By Apollyon
I've had good luck with AK Carnivores. I've bought a couple types of seeds from them and they appear to be the real thing. I was a little nervous about it at first but they seem to be honest people. It's good because they harvest a lot of harder to find seed like byblis and obscure CPs you can't normally find for sale.

@MikeB, That's an interesting approach they have. Still, having $7 Sarracenia is nice. Wish I saw that before I bought a Judith Hindle. Have you purchased plants from them?
By MikeB
Apollyon wrote:I've had good luck with AK Carnivores. I've bought a couple types of seeds from them and they appear to be the real thing. I was a little nervous about it at first but they seem to be honest people. It's good because they harvest a lot of harder to find seed like byblis and obscure CPs you can't normally find for sale.
I've bought bundles of Drosera burmannii, capensis, and capillaris from them on eBay, been very pleased with the plants that I received (even after a week's trip from Hawaii to North Carolina).
Apollyon wrote:@MikeB, That's an interesting approach they have. Still, having $7 Sarracenia is nice. Wish I saw that before I bought a Judith Hindle. Have you purchased plants from them?
I was actually hunting for some Pinguicula lutea plants and spotted their listing. I placed an order for 3 of them, didn't hear anything for 10 days, and contacted them about it. I was told that they didn't have any in stock and would have to get permission to collect seeds from the local plants. Apparently, no one could be bothered to update the web site to say that they were currently unavailable.... I canceled my order.

Having said that, a friend of mine was in that area picking up some plants for his commercial greenhouse and decided to stop by Fly-Trap Farm. He brought me a beautiful typical flytrap with traps so dark they looked like Bing cherries that had been split open. Other than this, I can't say anything about the quality of their plants.
By Jonathan_
MikeB wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:30 am FYI - Sarracenia x catesbaei is a hybrid of Sarracenia flava x purpurea.

The temperate ping seeds are hard to find. AK Carnivores in Hawaii occasionally has some caerulea or lutea seeds for sale. Fly-Trap Farm in southeastern North Carolina has those two species on their plants-for-sale list, but I've found that you need to check if they actually have the plants in stock before placing an order.
Unfortunately there is no location data on those seeds. I want plants that are genetically from NC. Not all Lutea and the others mentioned have the same the genetic code as the NC ones do. Call me a picky picky purist but that's just the way I am. Perhaps it's my OCD coming through even though I'm on meds for a severe case of it. An example: D.capillaris typical variety from Florida won't be genetically the same as D.capillaris typical variety as NC genetics.
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:Still, having $7 Sarracenia is nice. Wish I saw that before I bought a Judith Hindle. Have you purchased plants from them?
Where did you see Judith Hindle for $7? Get another one! Judith is one of my all-time favorite Sarrs.

$7 Sarracenia is incredible. I was doing a ton of trimming back of growth on my Sarrs today and realized I'm gonna have to find new homes for many of them. I put way too many seeds in tissue culture this year. I will be offering lots of Sarrs in the spring in the form of our Spring Sarracenia Sale:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/sarra ... plant-sale

And also our Mystery Box, which is rarely in stock, will be in stock frequently!:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/venus ... ystery-box
Jonathan_ wrote:Call me a picky picky purist but that's just the way I am. Perhaps it's my OCD coming through even though I'm on meds for a severe case of it.
OCD can be a valuable asset in many situations! No shame in using it for good, including preserving and propagating carnivorous plants!!
Apollyon liked this
By Panman
I got my Judith Hindles at Flytrap King for $7.50 when they were doing a BOGO deal. I also got Marston Dragon and tracyii for the same price in the same deal.
By Apollyon
@Matt, Nice! The mystery box is a neat idea man. I think I might get some Sarrs from you when you do that. I'll try to remember the sale :lol: . The site Mike referred to had a host of $7 Sarracenia, that's why I was like "Man, I wish I knew about this a while ago." IIRC I got my Judith Hindle for 15-20 dollars and it was just a small rhizome with 2 pitchers. I juiced it all season and it went nuts so now it's pretty cool to look at. I'm hoping it'll do the same thing next year.

In a way I can understand @Jonathan_, I also like to have location data or specific cultivars of plants I grow. Hybrids and mixed species are nice but most of my Sarracenia have location data. The difference in genetics is what also what has people collecting 10 types of capensis or spatulata lol. Side-by-side you can often see those subtle differences so I get where he's coming from. A user commented on the stark difference between one of my pings and theirs from different locations, same species.

Perhaps checking the facebook CP groups might help. People post seeds for sale all the time or maybe someone can point you in the right direction. Good luck

Man now I feel ripped off. I also got my JH from Flytrapking and there wasn't a bogo sale. I did score some binata on some crazy sale they did though
By MikeB
Jonathan_ wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:28 pmUnfortunately there is no location data on those seeds. I want plants that are genetically from NC. Not all Lutea and the others mentioned have the same the genetic code as the NC ones do. Call me a picky picky purist but that's just the way I am. Perhaps it's my OCD coming through even though I'm on meds for a severe case of it. An example: D.capillaris typical variety from Florida won't be genetically the same as D.capillaris typical variety as NC genetics.
I understand completely. If nothing else, the plants from North Carolina will be much more cold-hardy than those from Florida.

I'll do some checking around. Maybe I can get permission to do a "rescue" from a site that's about to be plowed under or paved over.
Jonathan_ liked this
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:Nice! The mystery box is a neat idea man. I think I might get some Sarrs from you when you do that. I'll try to remember the sale :lol: .
@Apollyon, well, I'll be sure to post on the forum here about the sale when I put them in stock!!
Apollyon wrote:IIRC I got my Judith Hindle for 15-20 dollars and it was just a small rhizome with 2 pitchers. I juiced it all season and it went nuts so now it's pretty cool to look at. I'm hoping it'll do the same thing next year.
Judith Hindle has exceptional vigor for sure. Many years ago now I selfed Judith and put the seeds in TC. I got a few plants from that bunch that are an improvement in some ways over the original. I'll post some photos next year when they have more pitchers again.
By MikeB
Jonathan_ wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:27 am
I'll do some checking around. Maybe I can get permission to do a "rescue" from a site that's about to be plowed under or paved over.
That would be awesome thx! :)How much would you charge for some seed? And when do you think you could do this?
If it's seeds, that would be the cost of a stamp for 2-ounce mail (70¢). If it's plants instead, that would be the cost of shipping ($5).

My first contact didn't pan out. He stopped growing native pings a few years ago. I'll keep looking.

If I rescue some plants, they will be caerulea, lutea, or pumila. This may not happen until the spring.
Jonathan_ liked this
By Panman
Matt wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:01 am . I will be offering lots of Sarrs in the spring in the form of our Spring Sarracenia Sale:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/sarra ... plant-sale
I want to put a plug in for Matt's sarracenia surprise sale. I ordered three rhizomes last spring and they were gorgeous. At least one was a leuco and I have yet to identify the other two rhizomes. There were also a couple of small rhizomes and a 'dead ends.' All have produced pitchers this summer. One of the freebies looks better than a plant I bought from a different seller. When Matt sells something, you can be sure you are getting your money's worth!
MikeB liked this

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!